Re: [SCA-JML] feasting knife

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
      <nostrand@...> wrote:
      > Dôshu dono!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
      > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

      :)

      I wonder how well folks like Shingen and Kenshin kept their various vows?

      -Ii Shōshō
    • Mori Michimori
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
        Greetings, Solveig-dono!

        On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

        > Dôshu dono!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
        > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

        Ah! It is clear you have never faced a raging daikon! They get really
        dangerous when they're cornered.

        Dôshu
        --
        Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
      • Mori Michimori
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
          This thread set me off to Google search.

          An early hit was Japan Woodworker.

          <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
          dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker>

          There is some beautiful stuff here, but judging by the prices on some
          of the vegetable knives, they must be made by Living National
          Treasures, using the full ritual!

          Dôshu Giiku
          --
          Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
            > Posted by: "Mori Michimori"

            > This thread set me off to Google search. An early hit was Japan
            > Woodworker. <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
            > dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker> There is some beautiful stuff here,
            > but judging by the prices on some of the vegetable knives, they must
            > be made by Living National Treasures, using the full ritual!
            Yes, Japan Woodworker in the tradition of Garrett Wade creates some of
            the finest tool porn ;) They do have stuff sane mortals can purchase
            though in addition to the mystical chisels formed by the soul of the
            samurai. I like their Ryoba saws with the replaceable blades, great for
            working in softwoods and the ones that are "blue hard" stay sharp for
            years. Note that mere mortals cannot sharpen Japanese saws (not a joke),
            the angles are much more difficult that western saws, so if your not
            local, buy a spare blade.

            Jim