Re: [SCA-JML] feasting knife

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      Dôshu dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
      you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
        <nostrand@...> wrote:
        > Dôshu dono!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
        > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

        :)

        I wonder how well folks like Shingen and Kenshin kept their various vows?

        -Ii Shōshō
      • Mori Michimori
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
          Greetings, Solveig-dono!

          On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

          > Dôshu dono!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
          > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Ah! It is clear you have never faced a raging daikon! They get really
          dangerous when they're cornered.

          Dôshu
          --
          Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
        • Mori Michimori
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
            This thread set me off to Google search.

            An early hit was Japan Woodworker.

            <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
            dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker>

            There is some beautiful stuff here, but judging by the prices on some
            of the vegetable knives, they must be made by Living National
            Treasures, using the full ritual!

            Dôshu Giiku
            --
            Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
              > Posted by: "Mori Michimori"

              > This thread set me off to Google search. An early hit was Japan
              > Woodworker. <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
              > dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker> There is some beautiful stuff here,
              > but judging by the prices on some of the vegetable knives, they must
              > be made by Living National Treasures, using the full ritual!
              Yes, Japan Woodworker in the tradition of Garrett Wade creates some of
              the finest tool porn ;) They do have stuff sane mortals can purchase
              though in addition to the mystical chisels formed by the soul of the
              samurai. I like their Ryoba saws with the replaceable blades, great for
              working in softwoods and the ones that are "blue hard" stay sharp for
              years. Note that mere mortals cannot sharpen Japanese saws (not a joke),
              the angles are much more difficult that western saws, so if your not
              local, buy a spare blade.

              Jim