Re: feasting knife

  • ErinK
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      As an aside, I'd always heard that I'm not responsible for cutting my own food in Japanese culture, but that doesn't really fit with a lot of the things I've been served at restaurants! ;-)

      I never know whether to rend, bite, or pick....

      ERIN

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
        Dôshu dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
        you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
          On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
          <nostrand@...> wrote:
          > Dôshu dono!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
          > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

          :)

          I wonder how well folks like Shingen and Kenshin kept their various vows?

          -Ii Shōshō
        • Mori Michimori
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
            Greetings, Solveig-dono!

            On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

            > Dôshu dono!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
            > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

            Ah! It is clear you have never faced a raging daikon! They get really
            dangerous when they're cornered.

            Dôshu
            --
            Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
          • Mori Michimori
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
              This thread set me off to Google search.

              An early hit was Japan Woodworker.

              <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
              dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker>

              There is some beautiful stuff here, but judging by the prices on some
              of the vegetable knives, they must be made by Living National
              Treasures, using the full ritual!

              Dôshu Giiku
              --
              Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
                > Posted by: "Mori Michimori"

                > This thread set me off to Google search. An early hit was Japan
                > Woodworker. <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
                > dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker> There is some beautiful stuff here,
                > but judging by the prices on some of the vegetable knives, they must
                > be made by Living National Treasures, using the full ritual!
                Yes, Japan Woodworker in the tradition of Garrett Wade creates some of
                the finest tool porn ;) They do have stuff sane mortals can purchase
                though in addition to the mystical chisels formed by the soul of the
                samurai. I like their Ryoba saws with the replaceable blades, great for
                working in softwoods and the ones that are "blue hard" stay sharp for
                years. Note that mere mortals cannot sharpen Japanese saws (not a joke),
                the angles are much more difficult that western saws, so if your not
                local, buy a spare blade.

                Jim