Re: [SCA-JML] feasting knife

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2009
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Soveig!

      > Best to have it at least look
      >>
      > like something you grabbed out of the kitchen to deal with these silly
      > nanban customs than to have a something completely wrong for your
      > persona, right?

      Actually, since the problem occurs at Western feasts, your scenario
      is an excellent reason to have a blatantly Western knife such as a
      rather nice knife made in Sweden (I think it was) that looks sort of
      like a dagger. It's made out of carbon steel, comes in a faux leather
      sheath, and is also a whole lot less expensive than a Japanese
      kitchen knife.

    • Mori Michimori
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2009
        Greetings, Solveig-dono and Ii-dono!

        On Oct 6, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

        > Ii dono!
        >
        > Greetings from Soveig!
        >
        >> Best to have it at least look like something you grabbed out of
        >> the kitchen to deal with these silly nanban customs than to have a
        >> something completely wrong for your persona, right?
        >
        > Actually, since the problem occurs at Western feasts, your scenario
        > is an excellent reason to have a blatantly Western knife such as a
        > rather nice knife made in Sweden (I think it was) that looks sort of
        > like a dagger. It's made out of carbon steel, comes in a faux leather
        > sheath, and is also a whole lot less expensive than a Japanese
        > kitchen knife.

        For those with ~$US50 to spare, there are some very reasonable
        western European dining and utility knives available through
        Revival.US <http://revival.us/index.asp?
        PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=239> (be sure to check the related items
        at the bottom of the page).

        For my part, when Dôshu attends a Western feast, he will borrow a
        knife from the cook in his entourage, preferring a tool of proper
        Japanese construction to some awkward Western blade of no known
        heritage.

        In humble service, as befits a Samurai,

        Dôshu
        --
        Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
      • Rick Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2009
          >>Greetings from Soveig! The problem is of course that Japanese did not
          use knives to eat at banquets.

          Agreed, though I believe that the discussion was about being Japanese in a standard multi-cultural banquet where the food is generally European.
          In that scene, a knife would be useful.

          Rick Johnson,
          aka RikJohnson39@...
          PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
          http://geocities.com/RikJohnson39
          "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

          Please note: message attached

          From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] feasting knife
          Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:22:27 -0400

          Student Financial Aid
          Connect to financial aid for online degrees. Free information!
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=zMarvAyBlpLsvFJYN969RAAAJz1rs2BANPdUOuuDqTPa4it-AAQAAAAFAAAAADm0yD0AAANSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABkIwAAAAA=
        • ErinK
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
            As an aside, I'd always heard that I'm not responsible for cutting my own food in Japanese culture, but that doesn't really fit with a lot of the things I've been served at restaurants! ;-)

            I never know whether to rend, bite, or pick....

            ERIN

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
              Dôshu dono!

              Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
              you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
                On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
                <nostrand@...> wrote:
                > Dôshu dono!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
                > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.

                :)

                I wonder how well folks like Shingen and Kenshin kept their various vows?

                -Ii Shōshō
              • Mori Michimori
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
                  Greetings, Solveig-dono!

                  On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                  > Dôshu dono!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
                  > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar

                  Ah! It is clear you have never faced a raging daikon! They get really
                  dangerous when they're cornered.

                  Dôshu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
                    This thread set me off to Google search.

                    An early hit was Japan Woodworker.

                    <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
                    dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker>

                    There is some beautiful stuff here, but judging by the prices on some
                    of the vegetable knives, they must be made by Living National
                    Treasures, using the full ritual!

                    Dôshu Giiku
                    --
                    Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
                      > Posted by: "Mori Michimori"

                      > This thread set me off to Google search. An early hit was Japan
                      > Woodworker. <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
                      > dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker> There is some beautiful stuff here,
                      > but judging by the prices on some of the vegetable knives, they must
                      > be made by Living National Treasures, using the full ritual!
                      Yes, Japan Woodworker in the tradition of Garrett Wade creates some of
                      the finest tool porn ;) They do have stuff sane mortals can purchase
                      though in addition to the mystical chisels formed by the soul of the
                      samurai. I like their Ryoba saws with the replaceable blades, great for
                      working in softwoods and the ones that are "blue hard" stay sharp for
                      years. Note that mere mortals cannot sharpen Japanese saws (not a joke),
                      the angles are much more difficult that western saws, so if your not
                      local, buy a spare blade.

                      Jim