Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Building a Kamakura Persona

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009

      > My mistake - I misremembered a comic kabuki play as kyogen. I'm
      > thinking specifically of a piece called "Bo Shibari," and the
      > costume is worn by the master of two untrustworthy servants.
      Boshibari is a kyogen play. An interesting side note, kabuki scripts
      are for some reason called "kyogenbon". Noh scripts are called
      "utaibon". I really should find out what kyogen scripts are called.
      Some time ago, Baron Edward pointed out that the "winged" jacket was
      developed in the sixteenth century and that we have pictures of
      famous people wearing them.

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
        Ii dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! Nagabakama show up in early wood block print
        books of kyogen plays. Nagabakama were well enough established at
        that point to form part of comic costumes. The fabric patterns of
        kyogen reflect, in my opinion, the aesthetics of the late Muromachi
        period. Kyogen itself dates from at least the time of Ze'ami.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
          On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >> My mistake - I misremembered a comic kabuki play as kyogen. I'm
          >> thinking specifically of a piece called "Bo Shibari," and the
          >> costume is worn by the master of two untrustworthy servants.
          > Boshibari is a kyogen play. An interesting side note, kabuki scripts
          > are for some reason called "kyogenbon". Noh scripts are called
          > "utaibon". I really should find out what kyogen scripts are called.
          > Some time ago, Baron Edward pointed out that the "winged" jacket was
          > developed in the sixteenth century and that we have pictures of
          > famous people wearing them.

          Actually, "Bo Shibari" is both, and possibly an older story. There is
          a kyogen, but there is also a comic kabuki done to it as well. I
          wouldn't be surprised if there was a bunraku play on it as well. It
          isn't as if these stories had any real copyright and had to stay
          within their own genre.