Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Building a Kamakura Persona

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
      On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
      >
      >> As I recall, kyogen tends to fossilize late Muromachi fashions and
      >> language while Noh tends to fossilize somewhat earlier fashions and
      >> speech.
      >
      > My mistake - I misremembered a comic kabuki play as kyogen. I'm thinking specifically of a piece called "Bo Shibari," and the costume is worn by the master of two untrustworthy servants.
      > http://www.culturaitalia.it/pico/modules/event/it/event_1118.html?print=true

      I'm pretty sure that the Lord in most of those plays wears Edo period
      garments, but I could be wrong. I *do* think we find nagabakama
      before the Edo period, but I don't know how popular they were (or why
      they would be used--probably to show that the wearer could be
      leisurely, initially, but I'm not sure).

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009

        > My mistake - I misremembered a comic kabuki play as kyogen. I'm
        > thinking specifically of a piece called "Bo Shibari," and the
        > costume is worn by the master of two untrustworthy servants.
        Boshibari is a kyogen play. An interesting side note, kabuki scripts
        are for some reason called "kyogenbon". Noh scripts are called
        "utaibon". I really should find out what kyogen scripts are called.
        Some time ago, Baron Edward pointed out that the "winged" jacket was
        developed in the sixteenth century and that we have pictures of
        famous people wearing them.

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
          Ii dono!

          Greetings from Solveig! Nagabakama show up in early wood block print
          books of kyogen plays. Nagabakama were well enough established at
          that point to form part of comic costumes. The fabric patterns of
          kyogen reflect, in my opinion, the aesthetics of the late Muromachi
          period. Kyogen itself dates from at least the time of Ze'ami.

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
            On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >> My mistake - I misremembered a comic kabuki play as kyogen. I'm
            >> thinking specifically of a piece called "Bo Shibari," and the
            >> costume is worn by the master of two untrustworthy servants.
            > Boshibari is a kyogen play. An interesting side note, kabuki scripts
            > are for some reason called "kyogenbon". Noh scripts are called
            > "utaibon". I really should find out what kyogen scripts are called.
            > Some time ago, Baron Edward pointed out that the "winged" jacket was
            > developed in the sixteenth century and that we have pictures of
            > famous people wearing them.

            Actually, "Bo Shibari" is both, and possibly an older story. There is
            a kyogen, but there is also a comic kabuki done to it as well. I
            wouldn't be surprised if there was a bunraku play on it as well. It
            isn't as if these stories had any real copyright and had to stay
            within their own genre.