Re: [SCA-JML] Well-traveled Japanese (was: Deep in the Well of Indecision)

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
      > Ii dono!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! You made many good points about Japanese
      > overseas interests. For that matter, as I recall, a Japanese
      > adventurer took over Thailand (Siam) for a while.

      17th century. Didn't really take it over, though he was quite
      powerful. There were times when the Japanese community held the court
      more or less hostage as they made demands, but I wouldn't say they had
      "taken over".

      > As I recall, the Portugese take on the slave trade was one of the
      > things that got them into trouble in Japan. As I recall, slavery in
      > Japan was much more similar to indentured servitude than it was to
      > the chattel slavery that evolved in the USA and which the Portugese
      > were to some extent already practicing. Basically, it was ok for the
      > Portugese to bring non-Japanese slaves in and out of Japan, but the
      > government frowned on the Portugese exporting Japanese slaves.

      That's the impression I get, though the Jesuits talk also of the
      various Korean slaves. The Jesuit notes on the subject seem
      corroborate what you say: The "slaves" in Japan were able to hold
      private jobs beyond their duties, earn their own money, and purchase
      their freedom. Also, apparently the church was advocating their
      release and eventually excommunicated all of those involved in the
      slave trade--though I doubt this stopped it.