Re: [SCA-JML] Well-traveled Japanese (was: Deep in the Well of Indecision)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! You made many good points about Japanese
      overseas interests. For that matter, as I recall, a Japanese
      adventurer took over Thailand (Siam) for a while.

      > There was also a healthy* slave trade going
      > on in Japan that expanded in the 16th century as the Portuguese got
      > involved, but there were plenty of ethnicities going back and forth.
      > It was mostly just the official communications that were muted during
      > these times.

      As I recall, the Portugese take on the slave trade was one of the
      things that got them into trouble in Japan. As I recall, slavery in
      Japan was much more similar to indentured servitude than it was to
      the chattel slavery that evolved in the USA and which the Portugese
      were to some extent already practicing. Basically, it was ok for the
      Portugese to bring non-Japanese slaves in and out of Japan, but the
      government frowned on the Portugese exporting Japanese slaves.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
        > Ii dono!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! You made many good points about Japanese
        > overseas interests. For that matter, as I recall, a Japanese
        > adventurer took over Thailand (Siam) for a while.

        17th century. Didn't really take it over, though he was quite
        powerful. There were times when the Japanese community held the court
        more or less hostage as they made demands, but I wouldn't say they had
        "taken over".

        > As I recall, the Portugese take on the slave trade was one of the
        > things that got them into trouble in Japan. As I recall, slavery in
        > Japan was much more similar to indentured servitude than it was to
        > the chattel slavery that evolved in the USA and which the Portugese
        > were to some extent already practicing. Basically, it was ok for the
        > Portugese to bring non-Japanese slaves in and out of Japan, but the
        > government frowned on the Portugese exporting Japanese slaves.

        That's the impression I get, though the Jesuits talk also of the
        various Korean slaves. The Jesuit notes on the subject seem
        corroborate what you say: The "slaves" in Japan were able to hold
        private jobs beyond their duties, earn their own money, and purchase
        their freedom. Also, apparently the church was advocating their
        release and eventually excommunicated all of those involved in the
        slave trade--though I doubt this stopped it.