Greetings everyone

  • Michelle S.
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
      My name is Kaida, and I am currently on a quest for period Japanese sweets. My Baroness has requested a period baking contest, and, although Japanese cuisine doesn't use baking, she's given me permission to use steam cooking. I've found a few recipies, but I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction for some research. The internet is sketchy, and I would like some good, sources for my food.

      Thank you very much.

      Yours in Service

      Kaida Morgaine
    • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
        we had a discussion on this topic not that long ago, check either July
        or August for the discussion.

        Sara

        On 28/09/2009, Michelle S. <flame_gemron@...> wrote:
        > My name is Kaida, and I am currently on a quest for period Japanese sweets.
        > My Baroness has requested a period baking contest, and, although Japanese
        > cuisine doesn't use baking, she's given me permission to use steam cooking.
        > I've found a few recipies, but I was hoping one of you could point me in the
        > right direction for some research. The internet is sketchy, and I would like
        > some good, sources for my food.
        >
        > Thank you very much.
        >
        > Yours in Service
        >
        > Kaida Morgaine

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
          On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Michelle S. <flame_gemron@...> wrote:
          > My name is Kaida, and I am currently on a quest for period Japanese sweets. My Baroness has requested a period baking contest, and, although Japanese cuisine doesn't use baking, she's given me permission to use steam cooking. I've found a few recipies, but I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction for some research. The internet is sketchy, and I would like some good, sources for my food.

          Well, unfortunately most of the Japanese sweets today appear to be
          post-period. You are left primarily with different types of
          mochi--and if you want I can send you a list of different types of
          mochi from around the mid-17th century (reasonably plausible to be
          late 16th century, and I've seen some claims that the source, "Ryori
          Monogatari", was available in earlier editions by 1600, but I haven't
          seen any conclusive evidence of that).

          You also have two options for European desserts that we can show were
          available by 1600: Fios de Ovos (egg threads, aka tamago soumen) and
          candied job's tears (pastilles?).

          There are also a few possibilities such as "Touguwashi"
          (Togashi--Chinese desserts) of speculative origin--something like a
          fried dough cake. My wife, Abe-hime, can possibly give you more on
          that.

          Not quite baked, but here are some other ideas:

          "Eggs" of rice flower with brown sugar inside, served in a savory
          broth. Very nummy. The brown sugar makes me think it was at least a
          post-European contact dish

          Lotus filled with honey and then boiled. The lotus then takes on a
          very sweet, candied taste.

          Fresh fruit.

          "Sake nog" -- aka Tamagozake or Tamago-sake. It is sake, warmed, with
          a beaten egg and either sugar or salt. Quite tasty.

          Hope something there helps.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009

            > My name is Kaida, and I am currently on a quest for period Japanese
            > sweets. My Baroness has requested a period baking contest, and,
            > although Japanese cuisine doesn't use baking, she's given me
            > permission to use steam cooking. I've found a few recipies, but I
            > was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction for
            > some research. The internet is sketchy, and I would like some good,
            > sources for my food.
            I have several books on traditional Japanese sweets and some
            information on specifically premodern sweets. Do you have any
            particular preferences in terms of difficulty, taste, strange or hard
            to get ingredients, &c.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009
              Ii dono!

              Greetings from Solveig!
              > You also have two options for European desserts that we can show were
              > available by 1600: Fios de Ovos (egg threads, aka tamago soumen) and
              > candied job's tears (pastilles?).
              I think that you are forgetting about "castella" which, if I recall
              correctly, is Portugese which pretty much lands it no later than
              around 1638 when the Portugese are booted out of Japan.
              > There are also a few possibilities such as "Touguwashi"
              > (Togashi--Chinese desserts) of speculative origin--something like a
              > fried dough cake. My wife, Abe-hime, can possibly give you more on
              > that.
              This is a large genre. A fun example is kinton which consists of a
              bunch of thin multicolored strands sort of heaped into a ball.

              > Fresh fruit.

              Very technically, the etymology of kashi 菓子 (sweets) is fruit and
              nuts. There is a rather fun sweet that can be made from 50% ground
              steamed chestnut (just buy commercial chestnut flower) and 50% sugar.
              If you use dry chestnut flour, then you need to add a small amount of
              water to stick the stuff together into a dough. The dough is formed
              into balls and placed in cooking cloth (100% cotton) or cheese cloth
              which is twisted at one end. After unwrapping the ball, pinch the end
              which was twisted with your fingers. The result will look somewhat
              like a chestnut. This is the simplest version of this particular
              sweet. Chestnuts date from prehistoric times in Japan and sugar shows
              up pretty early. There are some more complicated versions of this
              recipe which create a sort of sheen on the surface of the faux
              chestnuts.

              You can make one of the very few things that Sei Shonagon said that
              she liked. It is, believe it or not, shaved ice garnished with
              reduced Boston Ivy sap. You can substitute honey or possibly maple
              syrup for the reduced sap. Yes, snow cones are period in Japan. Well,
              actually, they would be served in a bowl of some sort.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28, 2009

                Greetings from Solveig! You can buy boxes or sacks of ground mochi at
                your local asian food store. When you get the stuff, the directions
                on the box will tell you to mix it with a specific amount of water.
                So far, so good. However, several sets of directions that I have
                encountered failed to work. Here is how I got it to work. Buy 100%
                cotton chef's cloth and a steamer insert. Preferably, your steamer
                insert will not have a central piston. Once you get to the steaming
                step do the following:

                1. Put your steamer insert into a large pot which has a lid.
                2. Add water to the pot up to the bottom of the steamer insert, but
                no farther.
                3. Drape your chef's cloth across the steamer insert with a good
                margin on all sides.
                4. Put mochi mixture into the chef's cloth.
                5. Wrap the chef's cloth over the mixture.
                6. Cover, but make sure that a steam vent is open.
                7. Cook until desired consistency is obtained.

                Now for the second trick.

                The second trick involves parchment paper. If I recall correctly,
                that is what we wound up using. The trick is to form the hot steamy
                and very sticky reconstituted mochi into something artistic. It turns
                out that parchment paper has release characteristics which make this
                a lot easier than just about anything that you see in books.

              • Michelle S.
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 29, 2009
                  Honored friends,

                  I thank you all for your help.

                  Ii san, I was planning on making mochi of some kind, possibly red bean or chestnut mochi. I would very much appreciate your help with possible types to make.

                  Solveig san, the chestnut sweet you mentioned sound interesting, I may try to make those and see how they come out. I would like to make the treats as authentic as possible, though that may require some interesting ingredients.

                  Again, thank you, everyone.

                  Kaida Morgaine

                  > Ii dono!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  > > You also have two options for European desserts that we can show were
                  > > available by 1600: Fios de Ovos (egg threads, aka tamago soumen) and
                  > > candied job's tears (pastilles?).
                  > I think that you are forgetting about "castella" which, if I recall
                  > correctly, is Portugese which pretty much lands it no later than
                  > around 1638 when the Portugese are booted out of Japan.
                  > > There are also a few possibilities such as "Touguwashi"
                  > > (Togashi--Chinese desserts) of speculative origin--something like a
                  > > fried dough cake. My wife, Abe-hime, can possibly give you more on
                  > > that.
                  > This is a large genre. A fun example is kinton which consists of a
                  > bunch of thin multicolored strands sort of heaped into a ball.
                  >
                  > > Fresh fruit.
                  >
                  > Very technically, the etymology of kashi è"子 (sweets) is fruit and
                  > nuts. There is a rather fun sweet that can be made from 50% ground
                  > steamed chestnut (just buy commercial chestnut flower) and 50% sugar.
                  > If you use dry chestnut flour, then you need to add a small amount of
                  > water to stick the stuff together into a dough. The dough is formed
                  > into balls and placed in cooking cloth (100% cotton) or cheese cloth
                  > which is twisted at one end. After unwrapping the ball, pinch the end
                  > which was twisted with your fingers. The result will look somewhat
                  > like a chestnut. This is the simplest version of this particular
                  > sweet. Chestnuts date from prehistoric times in Japan and sugar shows
                  > up pretty early. There are some more complicated versions of this
                  > recipe which create a sort of sheen on the surface of the faux
                  > chestnuts.
                  >
                  > You can make one of the very few things that Sei Shonagon said that
                  > she liked. It is, believe it or not, shaved ice garnished with
                  > reduced Boston Ivy sap. You can substitute honey or possibly maple
                  > syrup for the reduced sap. Yes, snow cones are period in Japan. Well,
                  > actually, they would be served in a bowl of some sort.
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar

                • Ellen Badgley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Dear Kaida-dono,

                    Chiming in a bit late, but my husband Ii-dono has summed up most of my
                    knowledge on the subject. As Solveig-dono has said as well, fruits and nuts
                    are entirely appropriate (if rather pedestrian) as period sweets
                    (and chestnuts, especially, have been eaten in Japan since the early days,
                    yes.)

                    The period snowcones idea would also be a fun one to do, if a bit more
                    difficult logistics-wise!

                    - Abe Akirakeiko

                    On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Michelle S. <flame_gemron@...>wrote:

                    > Honored friends,
                    >
                    > I thank you all for your help.
                    >
                    > Ii san, I was planning on making mochi of some kind, possibly red bean or
                    > chestnut mochi. I would very much appreciate your help with possible types
                    > to make.
                    >
                    > Solveig san, the chestnut sweet you mentioned sound interesting, I may try
                    > to make those and see how they come out. I would like to make the treats as
                    > authentic as possible, though that may require some interesting ingredients.
                    >

                    > Again, thank you, everyone.
                    >
                    > Kaida Morgaine
                    >

                    > > Ii dono!
                    > >
                    > > Greetings from Solveig!
                    > > > You also have two options for European desserts that we can show were
                    > > > available by 1600: Fios de Ovos (egg threads, aka tamago soumen) and
                    > > > candied job's tears (pastilles?).
                    > > I think that you are forgetting about "castella" which, if I recall
                    > > correctly, is Portugese which pretty much lands it no later than
                    > > around 1638 when the Portugese are booted out of Japan.
                    > > > There are also a few possibilities such as "Touguwashi"
                    > > > (Togashi--Chinese desserts) of speculative origin--something like a
                    > > > fried dough cake. My wife, Abe-hime, can possibly give you more on
                    > > > that.
                    > > This is a large genre. A fun example is kinton which consists of a
                    > > bunch of thin multicolored strands sort of heaped into a ball.
                    > >
                    > > > Fresh fruit.
                    > >
                    > > Very technically, the etymology of kashi è "å­ (sweets) is fruit and
                    > > nuts. There is a rather fun sweet that can be made from 50% ground
                    > > steamed chestnut (just buy commercial chestnut flower) and 50% sugar.
                    > > If you use dry chestnut flour, then you need to add a small amount of
                    > > water to stick the stuff together into a dough. The dough is formed
                    > > into balls and placed in cooking cloth (100% cotton) or cheese cloth
                    > > which is twisted at one end. After unwrapping the ball, pinch the end
                    > > which was twisted with your fingers. The result will look somewhat
                    > > like a chestnut. This is the simplest version of this particular
                    > > sweet. Chestnuts date from prehistoric times in Japan and sugar shows
                    > > up pretty early. There are some more complicated versions of this
                    > > recipe which create a sort of sheen on the surface of the faux
                    > > chestnuts.
                    > >
                    > > You can make one of the very few things that Sei Shonagon said that
                    > > she liked. It is, believe it or not, shaved ice garnished with
                    > > reduced Boston Ivy sap. You can substitute honey or possibly maple
                    > > syrup for the reduced sap. Yes, snow cones are period in Japan. Well,
                    > > actually, they would be served in a bowl of some sort.
                    > >
                    > > Your Humble Servant
                    > > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > > Amateur Scholar

                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 29, 2009
                      Oh, I dunno. I entered a Turkish sharbat in a brewing competition last
                      year. Took along a small ice crusher/shaver and used a portable battery
                      to plug it into. I served the cherry sharbat over shaved ice...turned
                      out I won the competition, though I was accused of winning because the
                      temperature that day hovered around 100!!

                      Having the battery wasn't difficult for me because my husband uses it
                      when we are camping to power his CPAP machine. Ask around...you may
                      find one quite easily!

                      Kiri

                      Ellen Badgley wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > into balls and placed in cooking cloth (100% cotton) or cheese cloth
                      > > > which is twisted at one end. After unwrapping the ball, pinch the end
                      > > > which was twisted with your fingers. The result will look somewhat
                      > > > like a chestnut. This is the simplest version of this particular
                      > > > sweet. Chestnuts date from prehistoric times in Japan and sugar shows
                      > > > up pretty early. There are some more complicated versions of this
                      > > > recipe which create a sort of sheen on the surface of the faux
                      > > > chestnuts.
                      > > >
                      > > > You can make one of the very few things that Sei Shonagon said that
                      > > > she liked. It is, believe it or not, shaved ice garnished with
                      > > > reduced Boston Ivy sap. You can substitute honey or possibly maple
                      > > > syrup for the reduced sap. Yes, snow cones are period in Japan. Well,
                      > > > actually, they would be served in a bowl of some sort.

                      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
                      is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, /The Little Prince/

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 29, 2009

                        Greetings from Solveig! It turns out that chestnut flour is a common
                        ingredient in Italian cuisine. You can buy the stuff online. There is
                        an Italian food store in Syracuse which stocks the stuff. It's a lot
                        easier than steaming the chestnuts. Anyway. The recipe is 1 part
                        sugar to 1 part chestnut flour with enough water to knead the stuff
                        together. Use as little water as you can get away with.

                      • Heather Law
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 30, 2009
                          Thank you Solveig!! I've had some of this stuff for a few years and
                          can't get it to cook right, too hard on the outside and not chewy enough
                          inside. This just might be the trick I've been looking for :-)

                          Edwinna

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 1, 2009

                            > Thank you Solveig!! I've had some of this stuff for a few years and
                            > can't get it to cook right, too hard on the outside and not chewy
                            > enough
                            > inside. This just might be the trick I've been looking for :-)
                            I hope that we are talking about the same thing. Dried mochi bricks
                            or disks are the Japanese answer to the marshmallow. You stick them
                            on top of an oil stove or any other sort of hot dry griddle. They
                            turn brown and eventually split and erupt their innards. I was
                            writing about how to make mochi based sweets. The mochiko is
                            typically mixed with sugar and water. The stuff is then heated up and
                            used to make a variety of sweets.

                            That said, please tell me how my description of cooking with mochiko
                            works for you and how it can be improved upon.

                          • Heather Law
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 1, 2009
                              Nope, this is the flour. I just mixed it with water and made it into
                              balls and baked it. I think steaming it first might make it more
                              edible... hopefully! I'm curious about the mochi bricks or disks, are
                              they actually dry or are they sort of "leather hard"? This sounds like
                              what I had before I bought the flour, it was a flat square you broke up
                              along scored lines and threw in the oven, and it behaved sort of like
                              you described. I used to get it at the health food coop.

                              Ewinna

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 1, 2009

                                > Nope, this is the flour. I just mixed it with water and made it into
                                > balls and baked it. I think steaming it first might make it more
                                > edible... hopefully!

                                The steamed mochi is then used as an ingredient in making various
                                mochi based Japanese okashi. Further, sugar is often added to the
                                flour and water mixture.

                                > I'm curious about the mochi bricks or disks, are
                                > they actually dry or are they sort of "leather hard"?

                                I used to chew on leather when I was in elementary school. Mochi
                                bricks are harder than leather. Usually, mochi comes in blocks which
                                may be individually wrapped.

                                I'm not sure how to interpret your "nope". I really do want to
                                conjure up a good description on how to reconstitute mochiko. I
                                generally use the granular variety that comes in the white box.

                              • Heather Law
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 2, 2009
                                  I meant "Nope, what I have isn't the bricks or disks." It's the flour,
                                  which I got in a plastic bag, but I think it's similar to the stuff in
                                  the white boxes.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 2, 2009

                                    > I meant "Nope, what I have isn't the bricks or disks." It's the
                                    > flour,
                                    > which I got in a plastic bag, but I think it's similar to the stuff in
                                    > the white boxes.

                                    The stuff in the white boxes is chunky as it is more pulverized than
                                    ground. However, it melts/dissolves quickly in water.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 2, 2009
                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote:

                                      > I meant "Nope, what I have isn't the bricks or disks." It's the flour,
                                      > which I got in a plastic bag, but I think it's similar to the stuff in
                                      > the white boxes.

                                      Koda makes and markets a rice flour under the name Mochiko. It's readily available here in California.
                                      http://www.kodafarms.com/product_glutenfree.html