[SCA-JML] shamisen music

  • onewringgold@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2009
      I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some sources of period shamisen music, in western notation if possible (I know that's probably asking a lot) I recently won a vintage shamisen on ebay (we'll see what shape it's in when I actually get it--it looked okay except for some cosmetic wear and tear). I have played guitar for several years, soI thought this would be an interesting instrument to try, although it will be an interesting transition from a fretted guitar to the shamisen, which has no frets. I looked on lark in the morning and while they do sell shamisen (or rather the Chinese equivalent), they don't have any music or instruction books. So any advice to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
      Musically yours,
      Aoyama Narime (Jenn Oaks)
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2009
        On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:59 AM, onewringgold@...
        <onewringgold@...> wrote:
        > I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some sources of period shamisen music, in western notation if possible (I know that's probably asking a lot)  I recently won a vintage shamisen on ebay (we'll see what shape it's in when I actually get it--it looked okay except for some cosmetic wear and tear).  I have played guitar for several years, soI thought this would be an interesting instrument to try, although it will be an interesting transition from a fretted guitar to the shamisen, which has no frets.  I looked on lark in the morning and while they do sell shamisen (or rather the Chinese equivalent), they don't have any music or instruction books.  So any advice to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
        > Musically yours,
        > Aoyama Narime (Jenn Oaks)

        I'm not sure there is any, at least in Japan. The shamisen only
        appears in Japan around the late 1500s (1562 is one date I found). It
        became popular in the 17th and 18th centuries. It may be worth
        looking for information on the Chinese sanxian.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009

          Greetings from Solveig! I am pretty sure that I have music for
          shamisen and shakuhachi. However, most of the songs are post-period.
          I am not sure just how long shamisen have been around, however they
          are comparatively recent.

        • onewringgold@netzero.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2009
            From what I understand the modern shamisen is very similar to its period predecessor, the sanshin, and the Chinese sanxian from which it also evolved. But likely most of what's out there is either not period or in Japanese (which would be unreadable for me unfortunately). Even if I could find some post-period or modern pieces to start out with, just so I can learn how to play it properly, that would be fine.
            Thanks,
            Aoyama
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2009

              Greetings from Solveig! According to ISBN 4-276-30701-5 (Introduction
              to Japanese Music) pg. 90, the shamisen dates from about the time of
              Oda Nobunaga and more specifically the period 1558-1570. It also
              notes a Chinese three string precursor which dates to the 14th century.

              ISBN 4-276-30704-4 (Understanding Japanese Music Fundamentals Course)
              chapter 5 pg. 59-69, dates the introduction of the shamisen to 1560.
              Among other things, this section describes three different types of
              shamisen depending upon the width of the neck. It also shows in
              international musical notation what each string sounds under the
              three different hand positions used to play the shakuhachi.

              http://mikadotenpu.web.fc2.com/

              These people published two volumes of folks songs which give the
              vocal line in Western notation and the shakuhachi pattern in
              katakana. The introduction tells how to coordinate the shakuhachi and
              the shamisen.

              vol 1: http://syamisen.com/2005/12/post_72.html
              vol 2: http://www.gakufu.ne.jp/detail/view.php?id=27384

              This book bills itself as being the easiest shamisen practice book
              and comes either with a DVD or without. I recommend getting the
              version with the DVD:

              ISBN: 4872250850

              Amazon recommends the following book which bills itself as an
              introduction to shamisen as a companion volume:

              ISBN: 4117980041

              Here is a shamisen book of folk songs with an attached CD:

              ISBN: 4117980203

              Here is an out of print set of two volumes which claims to give
              shamisen music for folk songs in Western 5-line staff notation with
              shakuhachi accompaniment. Amazon Japan does list used copies as being
              for sale. However, I can not guarantee that the sellers will ship
              outside of Japan. However, there are ways to buy from such stores. 1)
              There is at least one member of this discussion list residing in
              Japan. 2) There is the rakuten overseas forwarding service.

              vol 1: ISBN: 4140551135
              vol 2: ISBN: 4140551143

              I hope that this helps.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2009

                Greetings from Solveig! I attached to hyperlinks to each of the ISBN
                numbers. However, the mailing list server appears to have stripped
                them out. You can generally find these books for sale at http://
                www.amazon.co.jp/ which will allow you to search by ISBN number even
                from the main page. Amazon Japan accepts credit cards and will ship
                new books outside of Japan. They have abandoned shipping by SAL in
                favor of traceable shipping. This makes shipping a tad expensive, but
                you should get your books in less than a week. Please examine their
                shipping charges carefully. Bundling all of your purchases into a
                single order is highly recommended as the cost of shipping the first
                book is much higher than shipping each of the other books in your
                order. Bottom line, it becomes cheaper to buy your books somewhat
                speculatively as the shipping for the first book can far exceed the
                cost of the first book. Finally, you can also order books from
                Kinokuniya either online or at one of their retail stores.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2009

                  Greetings from Solveig! As I recall, both shakuhachi and shamisen
                  music involves tone bending. With shakuhachi, this is produced by
                  rocking the head. With shamisen, this is produced by stretching the
                  strings. At least this is what I recall. Of course, I may be mistaken.

                • onewringgold@netzero.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 14, 2009
                    Arigato, Solveig-dono, for your guidance. What you mentioned about tone bending makes sense, because in playing modern guitar, the same effect is made by stretching the strings either where they are pressed on the frets or where they are plucked over the soundboard.
                    Thanks again,
                    Aoyama