RE: [SCA-JML] Hello form another new one

  • Al Jul
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 10, 2009
      Well, knowing how are the people from my country, it's no surprise that there's no SCA group near here. In fact, the one listed is just at the other side of Spain (some 900 km away...). But thanks for the interest :)

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 10, 2009
        From: Al Jul yuber_i@...

        > Well, knowing how are the people from my country, it's no <BR>> surprise that there's no SCA group near here. In fact, the one
        > listed is just at the other side of Spain (some 900 km away...).
        > But thanks for the interest :)

        Are you near Valencia? If you are referring to the address that's listed in Galicia, that may be misleading. That is the address of the seneschal, not the location where their activities occur. It seems that many of the members are located in Madrid. The "Introducción" page says, "Geográficamente Alcazar cubre todo el territorio español aunque no en todas partes hay miembros." The "lista [de gente] por regiones" does show an Iván el Ilustrado as being from the Valencia area. And if you think you would have to travel far, the Alguaçil (vice-president?) is on Gran Canaria. There's a big dinner near Segovia next weekend (http://sca.historiaviva.org/tiki-index.php?page=Eventos2009Vendimia) and another event in Madrid in a couple of months.

        However, as far as I can, tell none of them represent Japanese or other far eastern cultures. So you may still be out of luck for help and support in having a Japanese persona.

        Jeremy

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 10, 2009

          > However, as far as I can, tell none of them represent Japanese or
          > other far eastern cultures. So you may still be out of luck for
          > help and support in having a Japanese persona.
          Except of course there are people here to encourage you and try to
          offer help and what naught. Some of the old timers here were at one
          time voices crying in the wilderness separated by vast expanses of
          North America without even the internet to tie them to each other.
          Not to mention those who were actually in Asia.

        • Al Jul
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 14, 2009
            Thanks to both of you for the information & the encouragement. Maybe i will contact them in the near future, as there seems to be a group not too far from here (the Daniya group).
             Anyway, first i have to make that armour. Any idea about how to dish the metal plates (aside from hammering them)? and, any idea about how to desharpen the borders of the plates? they are so thin they cut!

            > However, as far as I can, tell none of them represent Japanese or
            > other far eastern cultures. So you may still be out of luck for
            > help and support in having a Japanese persona.
            Except of course there are people here to encourage you and try to
            offer help and what naught. Some of the old timers here were at one
            time voices crying in the wilderness separated by vast expanses of
            North America without even the internet to tie them to each other.
            Not to mention those who were actually in Asia.

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 14, 2009
              On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Al Jul <yuber_i@...> wrote:
              > Thanks to both of you for the information & the encouragement. Maybe i will contact them in the near future, as there seems to be a group not too far from here (the Daniya group).
              >  Anyway, first i have to make that armour. Any idea about how to dish the metal plates (aside from hammering them)? and, any idea about how to desharpen the borders of the plates? they are so thin they cut!

              Give yourself extra and then roll the edges. Not sure how familiar
              you are with metal working, but there are places that can help you
              with that.

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 14, 2009

                > Thanks to both of you for the information & the encouragement.
                > Maybe i will contact them in the near future, as there seems to be
                > a group not too far from here (the Daniya group).
                > Anyway, first i have to make that armour. Any idea about how to
                > dish the metal plates (aside from hammering them)? and, any idea
                > about how to desharpen the borders of the plates? they are so thin
                > they cut!

                Please try to find someone within range of you who has a shop. A lot
                of dishing is done with a hammer over a form of one sort or another.
                Deburring and edge smoothing is most easily accomplished with a bench
                grinder.

              • sigrune@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 15, 2009
                  Greetings,

                  As Lady Solvieg said:

                  >Please try to find someone within range of you who has a shop. A lot
                  >of dishing is done with a hammer over a form of one sort or another.

                  A good palce to start (and to meet people and get ideas) is your local
                  fighter practice.
                  A good number of fighters have some basic tools to maintain their armor
                  and will likely be
                  willing to teach you. (especially when bribed with cheesy fries at the
                  local after practice
                  resturaunt)

                  However:
                  >Deburring and edge smoothing is most easily accomplished with a bench
                  >grinder.

                  A bench grinder is way to agressive for this, for deburring plates
                  nothing beats a simple fine single cut file,
                  a good Nicholson from the local hardware conglomerate about 6 inches is
                  perfect.
                  First, a single pass at 45 degrees to take the edge off, and then a
                  rolling pass at 15 and 75 degrees.
                  this will give you a nice even edge that is smooth and rounded.

                  People overlook the simple file way to often.

                  -Takeda
                • William Giltner
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 15, 2009
                    Some of the best people to learn from (online) are at www.armourarchive.org .  Technique, artistry, history are all covered by various people in different posts.  After that head over to www.sengokudaimyo.com to see all those patterns you've been looking at in a NEW light.

                    William S. Giltner
                    Lrd Tatsuo Okami
                    Iron River Armoury
                    www.iron-river-armoury.com

                    >Please try to find someone within range of you who has a shop. A lot
                    >of dishing is done with a hammer over a form of one sort or another.

                    A good palce to start (and to meet people and get ideas) is your local
                    fighter practice.
                    A good number of fighters have some basic tools to maintain their armor
                    and will likely be
                    willing to teach you. (especially when bribed with cheesy fries at the
                    local after practice
                    resturaunt)

                    However:
                    >Deburring and edge smoothing is most easily accomplished with a bench
                    >grinder.

                    A bench grinder is way to agressive for this, for deburring plates
                    nothing beats a simple fine single cut file,
                    a good Nicholson from the local hardware conglomerate about 6 inches is
                    perfect.
                    First, a single pass at 45 degrees to take the edge off, and then a
                    rolling pass at 15 and 75 degrees.
                    this will give you a nice even edge that is smooth and rounded.

                    People overlook the simple file way to often.

                    -Takeda

                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 16, 2009
                      > Posted by: mikel_lehman
                      >
                      > However:
                      >
                      >> Deburring and edge smoothing is most easily accomplished with a bench
                      >> grinder.
                      >>

                      > A bench grinder is way to agressive for this, for deburring plates
                      > nothing beats a simple fine single cut file,
                      > a good Nicholson from the local hardware conglomerate about 6 inches is
                      > perfect.
                      > First, a single pass at 45 degrees to take the edge off, and then a
                      > rolling pass at 15 and 75 degrees.
                      > this will give you a nice even edge that is smooth and rounded.
                      >
                      > People overlook the simple file way to often.

                      Depending on the size of the part, I'd be tempted to go to a much larger
                      file. Use the biggest one you can control handily and that doesn't
                      totally overwhelm the part.

                      If all you are doing is deburring, there are several trick tools that
                      are really slick, often given away free as promotions by real machinist
                      supply places.

                      An example:
                      http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=380-0300&PMPXNO=2622091&PARTPG=INLMK3

                      If you have a lot of plates you can also tumble them. This may give you
                      a nice finish as well depending on what you want.

                      If you are using a bench grinder for deburring, get a giant Cratex
                      wheel, standard wheels will still leave a rough edge.

                      I'm not sure if you have a workshop area, but a heavy vise on a sturdy
                      bench help makes quick work of many aspects of armoring and almost any
                      miscellaneous projects. In addition to sawing, filing and chisel metals
                      and the like, I also use mine for is cutting up and roughing out
                      soapstone for seals!

                      Jim
                    • William Giltner
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 16, 2009
                        If all you have is a Bench grinder for power... Flap Sanding Wheels are a great tool for this also.... being much cheaper and easier to find than "Craytex" or other composite material deburring wheels

                        William S. Giltner
                        Lrd Tatsuo Okami
                        Iron River Armoury
                        www.iron-river-armoury.com