Re: [SCA-JML] Re: New all the way around

  • Loujaue McPherson
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
      I know Lucas lifted a lot from japanese culture but I didnt know the name of the movie, thanks I will get it.  This is good information.  Its showing me that I am going in the right direction.  I thank you for the help!

      Any comments on the name?

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
        On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Loujaue McPherson <loujaue@...> wrote:
        > I know Lucas lifted a lot from japanese culture but I didnt know the name of the movie, thanks I will get it.  This is good information.  Its showing me that I am going in the right direction.  I thank you for the help!
        >
        > Any comments on the name?

        Yamamoto = Awesome!
        Sadataro = ? Where are you getting this? "Taro/Tarou" is great for
        this position, but the "Sada" seems odd.
        Hikaru = As in "Hikaru Genji"? The kanji for "Hikaru" is used as a
        name, but this construction just doesn't seem right. Are you going
        for a masculine or feminine name?

        What about: Yamamoto Tarou Sadaaki? That uses those elements but we
        could potentially justify them more. Depends on if you want the sound
        or meaning.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009

          Mostly what Ii dono said. If you also wish to express affiliation
          with the clan (uji) that the fictitious Shining Genji was booted
          into, then you can stick 源 GEN in front of 太郎 Tarou to produce
          源太郎 Gentarou. Incidentally, there must be at least a dozen
          romanization systems out there. At least it seems that way. Ever
          since Japanese word processors hit the market, Japanese have tended
          to use what some Western scholars distainfully call "warudopuro
          Japanese". Basically, the way it works is to phonetically write
          Japanese with Roman letters which correspond to the standard Japanese
          kana chart. Thus, long (double length) O is written with either OO or
          OU depending on how it would be written with Japanese phonetic (kana)
          characters. The O in Tarou is long and is pronounced more or less
          like the O in oat or boat. Regardless, it's Tarou in wadopuro
          Japanese kana. The Hepburn system of Romanization is practically a
          minor deity to older Western scholars of Japan. However, you need to
          be able to type letters with macrons in order to use it. Thus, 太郎
          = Tarou = Tarō, but not Taro. Just to make things more confusing, you
          can sometimes run into long O written as Oh.

        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
            Konnichi wa
            I came across something I find very interesting and need and thought that someone out there might be looking for some similar information...it just down right cool

            this kid made his own Jomon- era pit dwelligs

            http://www.coolpicturegallery.net/?p=1556

            on another note dose anyone have any ideas how to make an authentic Japanese tent?
            I would like to use bamboo ...i dont mind tieing the long parts to the top of my durango

            Domo Arigato Godzaimasu
            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
              On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
              > Konnichi wa
              > I came across something I find very interesting and need and thought that someone out there might be looking for some similar information...it just down right cool
              >
              > this kid made his own Jomon- era pit dwelligs
              >
              > http://www.coolpicturegallery.net/?p=1556
              >
              > on another note dose anyone have any ideas how to make an authentic Japanese tent?
              > I would like to use bamboo ...i dont mind tieing the long parts to the top of my durango

              Pit-dwelling--awesome! Now, to find out how to do it at Pennsic
              (sandbags so that you build the pit "up"?)

              For a Japanese style curtain-tent, the bamboo poles usually seem to
              run in simple sqares. So you have a square "U" shape every "bay" of
              the tent. These are connected at the sides by bamboo poles for the
              basics. Next, you add a ridge pole down the center, with supports in
              the middle of the structure. I assume there are ropes to hold this
              thing up, before the curtain goes on, but can't recall. The curtain
              then goes over it, and you have two ropes running the length of the
              curtain tyeing down at either end, and I think ropes that go over
              cross-ways. Why it doesn't just fall over probably has something to
              do with something I learned in Boy Scouts but can't think of how to
              apply here, yet. Regardless, this is meant as a temporary sunshade,
              and I've seen no evidence it was meant to stand up to any real winds.

              Other than that, I've not seen much in the way of tentage.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009

                > on another note dose anyone have any ideas how to make an authentic
                > Japanese tent?
                > I would like to use bamboo ...i dont mind tieing the long parts to
                > the top of my durango
                There are several people around here who know how to make an akunoya
                which is the closest that you will come to a Japanese tent. They were
                typically used for garden parties. Huge akunoya were also set up for
                the interment ceremonies of the Showa emperor. Japan never really had
                a tent culture. Japanese geography just doesn't work well for
                migratory hunter gatherer societies. Japan did have a very prosperous
                hunter gatherer society during the Jomon period, but they were pretty
                much a sedentary society exploiting fishing, shellfish collecting,
                and some opportunistic hunting. If you can work out the logistics, I
                strongly recommend emulating the "yashiki" which Saiaiko hime uses at
                Pennsic. It is based on a commercial carport frame and can be stored
                in a small trailer. Please check it out at http://yamakaminari.com
                If I recall correctly, Rokurou dono went to a lot of work to come up
                with a recreation of an akunoya which uses Japanese joinery. The last
                time I saw images of his work, it did not particularly much look like
                an akunoya yet. This is because despite the careful attention to
                internal joinery, the external canvas shell had not yet been
                developed to emulate an akunoya. The roof and sides of an akunoya
                should generally have wide and very colorful stripes, and the roof
                should be held down by a transversal split rope. Last seen, his
                akunoya had a pure white shell. In general you do not want to do this
                as in a Shinto context this suggests a death house. Buddhist death
                festivities in Japan employ black and white vertical stripes, so that
                is not recommended either.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
                  Noble Cousins!

                  Greetings from Solveig! Here you can take a look at some akunoya:

                  http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/akunoya/

                • Loujaue McPherson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
                    Im glad I asked!!  Ok now Im slightly confused.  I used this site
                     http://sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html
                    to put together what I have.  What and I not understanding?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "loujaue" <loujaue@...> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone. I am also new to the SCA and when they mentioned Samurai I heard my calling.
                      >
                      > I have been working on a lot of things since then and I have put together I think a good name. I would like your input and feedback.
                      >
                      > Yamamoto no Sadataro Hikaru
                      >

                      > I am also working on armor. Im thinking mostly black with silver and red accents. Hows that?
                      >
                      > I am also a member of the 501st for those of you that know what that is. LFL has black Samurai armor ok display on different web sites. Looks like that was where they got the concept for the big man in black. Is that a good model to work from?

                      Greetings fellow 501st member! I'm with Rancor Raiders Outpost in Mississippi. I've been out of the SCA for about 4 years but decided to get involved again about a month or two ago. I had a lot of fun doing Norse crafts etc., but have enjoyed entering new territory making Japanese stuff.

                      I've been lurking here and other sites for quite a while and it's a great resource with lots of helpful people. As far as color and design, if you have some historical reference for it, it should be fine. Armor can have a lot looser interpretation than is allowed in the 501st.

                      Good luck with your armor!
                      Brad Abel