Re: New all the way around

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "loujaue" <loujaue@...> wrote:

      > I am also a member of the 501st for those of you that know what that is. LFL has black Samurai armor ok display on different web sites. Looks like that was where they got the concept for the big man in black. Is that a good model to work from?

      I had to Google it. If you are referring to Darth Vader, it is a well known fact that George Lucas shamelessly lifted a great deal from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress." (If you have not seen it, rent it immediately. It's terrific!) Vader's helmet is an amalgam of a kabuto and a WWII German coal scuttle helmet.

      If you want to make period correct armor, please go immediately to http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/index.html

      Read it. Think about it. Then go back and read it again. And think about it some more: there's a LOT of information in there and it's easy to become overwhelmed.

      Welcome!
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009

        1. Pretty much ALL Kurosawa movies are well worth seeing.
        2. In addition to Baron Effingham's site (already cited) you should
        also check out the stuff on http://www.yamakaminari.com/ Sir Ogami
        produces functional SCA helmets and armor which are patterned after
        historical pieces.
        3. If you are at all able to, go to a museum which actually has
        Japanese armor on display. For example, the Smithsonian.
        4. Finally, if you don't mind books written in Japanese, there are
        some fine profusely illustrated books out there which can be obtained
        through Amazon's Japanese storefront or possibly found at a research
        library. Various people here can recommend books to take a look at.

      • Loujaue McPherson
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
          I know Lucas lifted a lot from japanese culture but I didnt know the name of the movie, thanks I will get it.  This is good information.  Its showing me that I am going in the right direction.  I thank you for the help!

          Any comments on the name?

          > I am also a member of the 501st for those of you that know what that is. LFL has black Samurai armor ok display on different web sites. Looks like that was where they got the concept for the big man in black. Is that a good model to work from?

          I had to Google it. If you are referring to Darth Vader, it is a well known fact that George Lucas shamelessly lifted a great deal from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress." (If you have not seen it, rent it immediately. It's terrific!) Vader's helmet is an amalgam of a kabuto and a WWII German coal scuttle helmet.

          If you want to make period correct armor, please go immediately to http://www.sengokud aimyo.com/ katchu/index. html

          Read it. Think about it. Then go back and read it again. And think about it some more: there's a LOT of information in there and it's easy to become overwhelmed.

          Welcome!

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2009
            On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Loujaue McPherson <loujaue@...> wrote:
            > I know Lucas lifted a lot from japanese culture but I didnt know the name of the movie, thanks I will get it.  This is good information.  Its showing me that I am going in the right direction.  I thank you for the help!
            >
            > Any comments on the name?

            Yamamoto = Awesome!
            Sadataro = ? Where are you getting this? "Taro/Tarou" is great for
            this position, but the "Sada" seems odd.
            Hikaru = As in "Hikaru Genji"? The kanji for "Hikaru" is used as a
            name, but this construction just doesn't seem right. Are you going
            for a masculine or feminine name?

            What about: Yamamoto Tarou Sadaaki? That uses those elements but we
            could potentially justify them more. Depends on if you want the sound
            or meaning.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009

              Mostly what Ii dono said. If you also wish to express affiliation
              with the clan (uji) that the fictitious Shining Genji was booted
              into, then you can stick 源 GEN in front of 太郎 Tarou to produce
              源太郎 Gentarou. Incidentally, there must be at least a dozen
              romanization systems out there. At least it seems that way. Ever
              since Japanese word processors hit the market, Japanese have tended
              to use what some Western scholars distainfully call "warudopuro
              Japanese". Basically, the way it works is to phonetically write
              Japanese with Roman letters which correspond to the standard Japanese
              kana chart. Thus, long (double length) O is written with either OO or
              OU depending on how it would be written with Japanese phonetic (kana)
              characters. The O in Tarou is long and is pronounced more or less
              like the O in oat or boat. Regardless, it's Tarou in wadopuro
              Japanese kana. The Hepburn system of Romanization is practically a
              minor deity to older Western scholars of Japan. However, you need to
              be able to type letters with macrons in order to use it. Thus, 太郎
              = Tarou = Tarō, but not Taro. Just to make things more confusing, you
              can sometimes run into long O written as Oh.

            • Jeanel Walker
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
                Konnichi wa
                I came across something I find very interesting and need and thought that someone out there might be looking for some similar information...it just down right cool

                this kid made his own Jomon- era pit dwelligs

                http://www.coolpicturegallery.net/?p=1556

                on another note dose anyone have any ideas how to make an authentic Japanese tent?
                I would like to use bamboo ...i dont mind tieing the long parts to the top of my durango

                Domo Arigato Godzaimasu
                Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
                  On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
                  > Konnichi wa
                  > I came across something I find very interesting and need and thought that someone out there might be looking for some similar information...it just down right cool
                  >
                  > this kid made his own Jomon- era pit dwelligs
                  >
                  > http://www.coolpicturegallery.net/?p=1556
                  >
                  > on another note dose anyone have any ideas how to make an authentic Japanese tent?
                  > I would like to use bamboo ...i dont mind tieing the long parts to the top of my durango

                  Pit-dwelling--awesome! Now, to find out how to do it at Pennsic
                  (sandbags so that you build the pit "up"?)

                  For a Japanese style curtain-tent, the bamboo poles usually seem to
                  run in simple sqares. So you have a square "U" shape every "bay" of
                  the tent. These are connected at the sides by bamboo poles for the
                  basics. Next, you add a ridge pole down the center, with supports in
                  the middle of the structure. I assume there are ropes to hold this
                  thing up, before the curtain goes on, but can't recall. The curtain
                  then goes over it, and you have two ropes running the length of the
                  curtain tyeing down at either end, and I think ropes that go over
                  cross-ways. Why it doesn't just fall over probably has something to
                  do with something I learned in Boy Scouts but can't think of how to
                  apply here, yet. Regardless, this is meant as a temporary sunshade,
                  and I've seen no evidence it was meant to stand up to any real winds.

                  Other than that, I've not seen much in the way of tentage.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009

                    > on another note dose anyone have any ideas how to make an authentic
                    > Japanese tent?
                    > I would like to use bamboo ...i dont mind tieing the long parts to
                    > the top of my durango
                    There are several people around here who know how to make an akunoya
                    which is the closest that you will come to a Japanese tent. They were
                    typically used for garden parties. Huge akunoya were also set up for
                    the interment ceremonies of the Showa emperor. Japan never really had
                    a tent culture. Japanese geography just doesn't work well for
                    migratory hunter gatherer societies. Japan did have a very prosperous
                    hunter gatherer society during the Jomon period, but they were pretty
                    much a sedentary society exploiting fishing, shellfish collecting,
                    and some opportunistic hunting. If you can work out the logistics, I
                    strongly recommend emulating the "yashiki" which Saiaiko hime uses at
                    Pennsic. It is based on a commercial carport frame and can be stored
                    in a small trailer. Please check it out at http://yamakaminari.com
                    If I recall correctly, Rokurou dono went to a lot of work to come up
                    with a recreation of an akunoya which uses Japanese joinery. The last
                    time I saw images of his work, it did not particularly much look like
                    an akunoya yet. This is because despite the careful attention to
                    internal joinery, the external canvas shell had not yet been
                    developed to emulate an akunoya. The roof and sides of an akunoya
                    should generally have wide and very colorful stripes, and the roof
                    should be held down by a transversal split rope. Last seen, his
                    akunoya had a pure white shell. In general you do not want to do this
                    as in a Shinto context this suggests a death house. Buddhist death
                    festivities in Japan employ black and white vertical stripes, so that
                    is not recommended either.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
                      Noble Cousins!

                      Greetings from Solveig! Here you can take a look at some akunoya:

                      http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/akunoya/

                    • Loujaue McPherson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
                        Im glad I asked!!  Ok now Im slightly confused.  I used this site
                         http://sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html
                        to put together what I have.  What and I not understanding?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "loujaue" <loujaue@...> wrote:

                          > Hello everyone. I am also new to the SCA and when they mentioned Samurai I heard my calling.
                          >
                          > I have been working on a lot of things since then and I have put together I think a good name. I would like your input and feedback.
                          >
                          > Yamamoto no Sadataro Hikaru
                          >

                          > I am also working on armor. Im thinking mostly black with silver and red accents. Hows that?
                          >
                          > I am also a member of the 501st for those of you that know what that is. LFL has black Samurai armor ok display on different web sites. Looks like that was where they got the concept for the big man in black. Is that a good model to work from?

                          Greetings fellow 501st member! I'm with Rancor Raiders Outpost in Mississippi. I've been out of the SCA for about 4 years but decided to get involved again about a month or two ago. I had a lot of fun doing Norse crafts etc., but have enjoyed entering new territory making Japanese stuff.

                          I've been lurking here and other sites for quite a while and it's a great resource with lots of helpful people. As far as color and design, if you have some historical reference for it, it should be fine. Armor can have a lot looser interpretation than is allowed in the 501st.

                          Good luck with your armor!
                          Brad Abel