Re: Japanese Scrolls

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 6, 2009
      The following is not an award scroll, but I just HAD to share:

      I've been friends with Richard Man and his wife Karisu for over a year now. He was the head of photography for Costume Con 26 who made me look so good in official photos. He also combines Chinese calligraphy with some of his art photography to beautiful effect. (Go to http://www.rfman.com/Homepage to see his work.)

      Last night, at a party at their house, Richard had ground some ink for a project he was working on and called me over to his computer to ask me what my Japanese name was and did I know how to write it. Yes, in hiragana and pretty much only if I have a copy of it in front of me, which I admit is rather sad. So I fed him the syllabic elements for the romaji spelling and the meanings of each, he looked up the kanji for everything and sent me back into the kitchen where I soon became embroiled in more socializing.

      Some time later, he came over and presented me with THIS. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2465/3893937603_ff128577f9.jpg

      The large character is "Love," the characters at the right spell out my name in kanji, Saionji Hanae. The date (2009) and Richard's chop are at the bottom left.

      It goes without saying that I was deeply touched and honored.

    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2009

        The large character is "Love," the characters at the right spell out my name in kanji, Saionji Hanae. The date (2009) and Richard's chop are at the bottom left.

        A treasure for a treasure. Congratulations! Ki no Izumi