Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese Scrolls

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2009
      On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Solveig Throndardottir<nostrand@...> wrote:

      > Actually, laser printed cheat sheets can just as easily be attached
      > to the front. What I have heard from court heralds is that reading
      > the back of the scroll allows the audience more time to look at the
      > scroll. BAH! I would vastly prefer that any scroll that I produce be
      > properly read from the front and then shown to the recipient. Reading
      > from the back makes it obvious that the scroll is not being read by
      > the herald. BAH! again.

      So reading /your/ words is important?

      I've known heralds who actually memorize the text of the scroll (or at
      least the text of basic scrolls, ad-libbing as need be). A cheat
      sheet, therefore, is just that. Reading from it should rarely be
      "obvious" if the herald has time to do their job properly (for one
      thing, they shouldn't be reading into the scroll, but out towards the
      audience).

      As for a separate sheet, that's a good idea, too--or an index card.
      Just realize separate sheets are more likely to go walkabout.

      -Ii
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2009

        The large character is "Love," the characters at the right spell out my name in kanji, Saionji Hanae. The date (2009) and Richard's chop are at the bottom left.

        A treasure for a treasure. Congratulations! Ki no Izumi