Two Down, One To Go

  • Mori Michimori
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30 9:12 PM
      With humble thanks to all who assisted, I now have two parts of my
      Japanese name, Mori (森) and Michimori (道守). If I understand
      Eff-dono's web site
      (<http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html>) correctly,
      these are the myôji and nanori, respectively.

      In one message from Solveig-sensei, she explained that a third name, a
      middle name, a zokumyô (as Eff-dono identifies it) is also appropriate
      for members of the buke (military class). Using the material available
      on Eff-dono's Web site, I have constructed the name 'Daitarô' as a
      suitable zokumyô, since I am both 'big' and a first-born. Would a
      knowledgeable participant on this list please confirm this name element
      and provide me with the appropriate kanji?

      With humble regards,

      Dōshu
      --
      Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31 6:14 AM

        Greetings from Solveig! I suspect that Daitarou is rather unlikely.
        How about just Tarou or pick one of the ancient uji that hung around
        a long time such as the Minamoto. An interesting feature of all this
        is that the onyomi (sino-Japanese) reading is taken from the uji name
        as a prefix for the zokumyo. Consequently, you might use Gentarou
        which identifies you as being affiliated with the Minamoto.

      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31 7:26 AM
          On Aug 31, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Mori Michimori wrote:

          > Using the material available
          > on Eff-dono's Web site, I have constructed the name 'Daitarô' as a
          > suitable zokumyô, since I am both 'big' and a first-born. Would a
          > knowledgeable participant on this list please confirm this name
          > element
          > and provide me with the appropriate kanji?

          "大太郎" gets 150,000 hits in Google, and one of those hits has this:

          正木信茂
          正木 信茂(まさき のぶしげ、天文9年(1540年) - 永
          禄7年1月8日(1564年2月20日))は、里見氏の家臣。正
          木時茂の嫡男。平七または大太郎と称す。また、大炊
          介を名乗ったとも言われている。

          Masaki Nobushige
          Masaki Nobushige (Tenbun 9 [1540] - Eiroku 1/8/7 [2/20/1564) was a
          vassal of the Satomi family. He was the son of Masaki Tokishige. He
          was named Heishichi and Daitarô. It is also reported that he was
          called Ooinosuke.

          Here's a static link to that -- it's the first entry.

          http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:CnfWKCZmBesJ:spysee.jp/tag/戦国時代/tag_date_desc/20+%
          22大太郎%22 は 室町&cd=36&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

          His Japanese wikipedia entry is here: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/正
          木信茂