NEW TO SCA

  • mi6_studios
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2009
      Hello.

      I am new to the SCA and am making Japanese Samurai armor.

      I am to the point of lacing.

      Does anyone know of any good / cheap place to acquire lacing without breaking my budget? I still need $$ for a Kabuto and other items.

      cheers

      w.b

      Toronto
    • William Giltner
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2009
        Ive found 550 cord (Mil spec para cord) with the inner threads removed to be cheap and strong... for that.

        William S. Giltner
        Lrd Tatsuo Okami
        Iron River Armoury
        www.iron-river-armoury.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2009
            Toronto wrote:
            > Hello.
            >
            > I am new to the SCA and am making Japanese Samurai armor.
            >
            > I am to the point of lacing.
            >
            > Does anyone know of any good / cheap place to acquire lacing without
            > breaking my budget? I still need $$ for a Kabuto and other items.
            >
            > cheers
            >
            > w.b
            >
            > Toronto

            Greetings, Toronto-dono!

            What part of the Knowne Worlde do you currently explore? Sometimes a
            face-to-face meeting with an expert in your current field of concern is
            the best answer.

            As one who has spent most of his adult life (and I am now nearing the
            Biblical three-score-and-ten), I will say that the Society, the SCA, is
            a wonderful place for enjoyment and for learning.

            Should you have any questions about SCA life in general, please seek me
            out off of this list.

            Dōshu
            --
            Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2009

              > Greetings, Toronto-dono!
              >
              > What part of the Knowne Worlde do you currently explore?

              I suspect that they hail from the Barony of Septemptria in the
              Kingdom of Ealdormere. Mundanely southern Ontario, Canada. If they
              are very specifically from Toronto, Toronto, then they are probably
              in the Canton of Eforwic which last I heard was meeting in the
              International Student House at the University of Toronto. Of course
              my own sojourn in Eforwic is now a rather long time ago.

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2009
                Usually an online site, www.sportsmansguide.com, has the military cord
                that others have mentioned and, if the same holds true for this as for
                the other items they carry, you probably won't find it any cheaper!

                Kiri
                Atlantia

                mi6_studios wrote:

                > Hello.
                >
                > I am new to the SCA and am making Japanese Samurai armor.
                >
                > I am to the point of lacing.
                >
                > Does anyone know of any good / cheap place to acquire lacing without
                > breaking my budget? I still need $$ for a Kabuto and other items.
                >
                > cheers
                >
                > w.b
                >
                > Toronto

              • srmalloy
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

                  > Usually an online site, www.sportsmansguide.com, has the military cord
                  > that others have mentioned and, if the same holds true for this as for
                  > the other items they carry, you probably won't find it any cheaper!

                  While sites like that will have paracord, they will generally have only a limited range of colors, such as black, white, OD green, and brown, possibly the camo varieties. Often a craft site, such as http://www.ubraidit.com/supplies-detail.php?item=26 or http://www.paracordpaul.com/ordering/colors/ will have a wider selection of paracord colors.
                • kegage
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
                    Try A.H. Rice Braid. The make a plain flat braid in a wide variety of colors and in widths from 1/4" to 2". I don't know what their pricing is like, but I don't think you can beat them for colors and widths. Their web address is http://www.ricebraid.com/

                    I also am in the process of making a suit of kebiki laced Maru do. I am just not to the lacing part yet.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Uilleam

                    P.S. Effingham, The link in the armor manual for A.H. Rice Braid is now incorrect. It has changed to http://www.ricebraid.com/.