Takara Sake USA, Berkeley, CA

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2009
      I've been living in the Bay Area for a few years now. I FINALLY had time to stop in and check out the tasting room at the Takara plant. They have a small museum and video on sake production (free) and they offer several tasting flights for very reasonable $5 apiece. (I paid $10 to taste three sake at the Asian Art Museum event a few weeks ago, I tasted six this afternoon.)

      So I don't have to write it all again, you can read about what I tasted at http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=food&action=display&thread=3126

      The representative who served me was knowledgeable and great fun to talk to. And their traditionally made kimoto variety was pretty amazing. I'm definitely thinking I'll want to get a bottle for the Rising Sun party at Estrella, it was that special.

      They're open daily from noon to six, and are accessible by car or mass transit if you're ever in the Bay Area. http://www.takarasake.com/