Re: Garb help

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2009
      I'm one of those annoying clothing-interested women who knows more about female clothing than mens, so I might be wrong too! :)

      Let's start at the start and work down:
      <<snip>>
      > From what I understood (I it is very likely I am very off on this) the Jeogori where a bit less-loose, like a Tshirt is. The outfit in the picture looks to me like a Dop'o, Hakch'angui, or a Shimui, wich all are formal robes worn over the Jeogori.
      <<snip>>
      I'm personally pretty sure that the over-robes are only a fraction bigger than the jeogori underneath.

      If you look at, for example, the items found in General Kim Deokryeong's tomb (1567-1596)(Important Folklore Materials 111), the main difference between his jeogori and po is the length moreso than the closeness of fit.
      See: http://www.ocp.go.kr:9000/ne_dasencgi/full.cgi?v_db=2&v_doc_no=00003537&v_disp_type=1&v_list=0
      (if the link breaks, search for Kimdeongnyeongjanggunuibok on google)
      and compare the size of the Jeogori (Important Folklore Materials 111-1) to the other coats.

      You can see similar proportions from the tomb of General Park (ca. 1592)
      http://www.ocp.go.kr:9000/ne_dasencgi/full.cgi?v_db=2&v_doc_no=00003596&v_disp_type=1&v_list=0
      (or search for Cheongwonjeonparkjanggunchultoyumul)

      I'd suggest that the jeogori would be about as loose-fitting as an overcoat. Although length-wise it may be closer to hip or waist-length.

      <<snip>>
      Then you would throw something like the Dop'o over it and it became formal.
      <<snip>>

      I believe you are correct in layering making the outfit more formal.

      Oh, and before I forget, if you want detailed information about jeogori construction (although the majority of it is undated and looks post 1600 to me), find a copy of "Traditional Korean Costume" by Lee Kyung Ja, Hong Na Young, and Chang Sook Hwan.
      Details: http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/3639734

      Hope that helps,
      ~Hyangsu