Re: The use of makeup

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2009
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "onewringgold@..." <onewringgold@...> wrote:
      > I have some questions about the wearing of white makeup and was wondering if those who do could shed some light for me on the following:
      > 1) Did people of all classes wear white makeup, or only the ruling/noble classes?

      I have to dash out to work, but there's a citation in Ivan Morris' "The World of the Shining Prince," describing the standards of beauty in the Heian period, when it was definitely the purview of both sexes of the court aristocracy, as was the blackening of teeth.

      It does make its way into the samurai caste as well (if you look at the models from the Kyoto Costume Museum, you'll see it on the "women of the warrior class" models) and on sex workers such as the courtesan. By the Edo period, one sees it on townswomen of the merchant classes as well. However, it does NOT trickle down from the kuge (aristocracy) to men of any of these classes.

      > 3) What is the proper look? Is it just on the face, or more like modern geisha including the neck and even the hands?

      The classic look is what you see on Ko-omote noh masks: pale skin, red lips, black teeth, real eyebrows shaved* and artificial ones painted in higher on the forehead. (*Not recommended!)
      I do not do my hands.

      When I do make-up (and I tend not to for field events) I do my face, neck and any part of my ears that would be exposed. I use a white pancake by Mehron with a setting powder, dark eyeliner and mascara and red lipstick. If the Nye is working for you, that's fine. (I also use a paint-on Halloween tooth black.)