Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Introduction

  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 13, 2009
      On Aug 13, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Michelle wrote:
      > Oh my...I am getting the very distinct impression that I have bitten
      > off more than I can chew in choosing Japan. :)

      Remember, the odds of anybody knowing that "you're doing it wrong" is
      pretty low with Japanese. It's only here that you'll get nitpicky
      arguments about things, but that's why we're all here: to get nitpicky
      arguments and refine our knowledge.

      Unfortunately, that also means that you're usually going to run into
      people whose only understanding of "historical" Japan is "early
      modern" Japan. Most pop-culture knowledge of historical Japan is based
      on Edo-period history. In Japanese history, there's a significant
      break created by the Tokugawa Shogunate, and that just happens to be
      right around the SCA's end-date.

      In any case, it's still a lot of fun breaking trail where few SCAdians
      have tread. There's lots of room for learning, incremental improvement
      and bringing new things to your community and the society.

      andy
    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone