Re: Introduction

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 13, 2009
      Oh my...I am getting the very distinct impression that I have bitten off more than I can chew in choosing Japan. :)

      Michelle
      (who now wonders if she should just throw on a tunic and call herself Astrid)

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      > > Thank you for the information on fabrics. If I use linen for the
      > > layers closest to my body, what kind of silks would be most
      > > appropriate for something like the outer layer?
      > Depending on what it is being used for, you may want to go with a
      > bast fibre for external clothing as well.
      > > But is there any disadvantage to playing peasantry?
      > Nobody is going to chastise you for playing peasantry. It's been done
      > before.
      > > Are these women wearing something that kuge would not wear:
      > > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/9.htm
      > > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/8.htm
      > Wearing a yumaki would be very odd for a kuge class woman. It would
      > also be odd for a higher ranking buke woman.
      > > Is there a difference between kuge and the warrior class?
      > Yes.
      > > If my older son wants the option to go down the samurai path do I
      > > need to be warrior class?
      > No. Your son can be Norman for that matter. You might just not want
      > to call him your son in the context of the Society. If you want to
      > integrate your recreation, then you need not do much more than have
      > yourself be of kuge rank somewhere below 5 out of 10 (with 1 being on
      > top). Genji, other Monogatari, and Nikki literature are full of
      > rusticated scions of kuge families.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone