Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Introduction

    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 13, 2009

      > Thank you for the information on fabrics. If I use linen for the
      > layers closest to my body, what kind of silks would be most
      > appropriate for something like the outer layer?
      Depending on what it is being used for, you may want to go with a
      bast fibre for external clothing as well.
      > But is there any disadvantage to playing peasantry?
      Nobody is going to chastise you for playing peasantry. It's been done
      before.
      > Are these women wearing something that kuge would not wear:
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/9.htm
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/8.htm
      Wearing a yumaki would be very odd for a kuge class woman. It would
      also be odd for a higher ranking buke woman.
      > Is there a difference between kuge and the warrior class?
      Yes.
      > If my older son wants the option to go down the samurai path do I
      > need to be warrior class?
      No. Your son can be Norman for that matter. You might just not want
      to call him your son in the context of the Society. If you want to
      integrate your recreation, then you need not do much more than have
      yourself be of kuge rank somewhere below 5 out of 10 (with 1 being on
      top). Genji, other Monogatari, and Nikki literature are full of
      rusticated scions of kuge families.

    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone