Re: Introduction

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 13, 2009
      Thank you for the information on fabrics. If I use linen for the layers closest to my body, what kind of silks would be most appropriate for something like the outer layer?

      Right now I'm only dealing with my 6yo son (my 16yo may decide later he wants to try out combat and I suspect that'll be a whole other can of worms, but he's not playing with us yet). I don't understand much yet regarding the differences between classes. From what I've read of Kumakura period, it was a time of sweeping changes in the upper classes leading away from perceived extravagances. Obviously if one portrays a noble class you'd have the advantage of wearing fancy robes (and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there something in the SCA that says we're all supposed to be playing "nobles"?). But is there any disadvantage to playing peasantry? Are these women wearing something that kuge would not wear:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/9.htm
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/8.htm

      Is there a difference between kuge and the warrior class? If my older son wants the option to go down the samurai path do I need to be warrior class?

      Thanks,
      Michelle

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Andrew T Trembley <attrembl@...> wrote:

      > I've not paid much attention to children's period clothing. If you're
      > talking adolescents, then, yes, it's modeled on adult clothes. Your
      > son's clothes, though, are very dependent on the class that you're
      > attempting to portray. Casual clothes would be a hitatare kamishimo.
      > Kuge classes, though, would more likely wear older styles, like the
      > suikan (sugata, unmatched or kamishimo), and you may want to look into
      > age-appropriate sleeve cord decoration motifs.
      >
      > andy

    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone