Re: Introduction

    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 12, 2009
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <michelle_bailey@...> wrote:

      > I have a concern about my short, red hair. I've come across one website that describes the use of a headcovering worn by nuns in that era. I was thinking that wearing one would prevent me from sticking out like a sore thumb but wonder if I should even be concerned with such things?

      (b) wearing a wig. If heat is a concern, a wig is going to be hot.
      (c) wearing a zukin. If you go this route, you have renounced the world - or at least the worldly. That means choosing more subdued colors for your clothing.

      > So...my garb would consist of 3 layers over my torso, yes? What fabrics would you recommend given our heat (at least it's a dry heat, as they say)?

      Natural fibers, all the way. Andy/Bovil already furnished you with a pretty good answer on this, and you definitely want whatever is closest to your skin to be something washable, whatever ends up being worn on top of it. If you don't know what period fabrics look like yet, it's safest to start with solids, rather than end up picking a print that doesn't work. You can go with something fairly lightweight for your kosode, but you'll want something a little sturdier for your nagabakama (or hakama).

      I'm assuming from what I've read that my dd's garb would be a smaller, brighter version of my own. For my son, should I just start with a kosode and hakama is "masculine" colors like blue or brown?

      > After looking through all the name pages I suspect that choosing names will be harder than our garb. They aren't intuitive lists and you can't just go look up a name that corresponds with a meaning you like. Please tell me that we can at least all share the same surname!

      The surname is the easy part, if you're not fussy. Effingham-sensei has a nice list of period Japanese surnames to pick from at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html
      and you might want to play around with the random name generator at http://rhinohide.cx/tousando/name/name.html and see if you like how something sounds. Then you can try breaking the name down and matching the elements at Sengokudaimyo and see if you like the meaning.

      BTW, if you're interested in the Kamakura period, you should look for "The Confessions of Lady Nijo" and "Sacred Rites In Moonlight," two court diaries from the period. Both well worth reading!

    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone