Re: AnneLiese

    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 12, 2009
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

      > >>There's a nagabakama pattern at http://www.geocitie s.com/anne_ liese_w/Japanese /japmake. htm
      >
      > This reminded me, I wanted to ask is a yard of fabric different than a yard of measurement? See I think of a yard as 3 feet or 36 inches.

      A yard IS 36". However, a yard of fabric is going to be 36" by however wide it is.
      Most fabric mills in the US produce bolts of fabric in standard widths. 44 or 45" and 60" are the most common, though upholstery/home decor bolts can be even wider and some of those Asian "brocades" run about 30" wide.

      Calculate your yardage needs based on yard AND bolt-width. In fact, it's not a bad idea to calculate it for both a 44" and 60" wide fabric, particularly for something you're going to make more than one of, and keep those numbers in your wallet. That way, if you come across something you like while fabric shopping, you know how much you'll need.

    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone