Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Introduction

  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 12, 2009
      On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Michelle wrote:
      > So...my garb would consist of 3 layers over my torso, yes? What
      > fabrics would you recommend given our heat (at least it's a dry
      > heat, as they say)? I'm assuming from what I've read that my dd's
      > garb would be a smaller, brighter version of my own. For my son,
      > should I just start with a kosode and hakama is "masculine" colors
      > like blue or brown?

      Cotton is not believed to be period-correct for Kamakura Japan (and
      modern cotton almost certainly isn't), but it is inexpensive and easy
      to work with.

      Ramie is wonderful and period-correct, but pretty much impossible to
      obtain in the US.

      Some weaves of linen (flax linen) can be a good approximation of hemp
      linens used in Kamakura Japan. Linen can be reasonably priced online.
      There is also one importer/manufacturer of hemp linens in the US,
      Pickering International in San Francisco, but they're primarily a
      wholesale operation.

      I've not paid much attention to children's period clothing. If you're
      talking adolescents, then, yes, it's modeled on adult clothes. Your
      son's clothes, though, are very dependent on the class that you're
      attempting to portray. Casual clothes would be a hitatare kamishimo.
      Kuge classes, though, would more likely wear older styles, like the
      suikan (sugata, unmatched or kamishimo), and you may want to look into
      age-appropriate sleeve cord decoration motifs.

      andy
    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone