Re: Introduction

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 12, 2009
      Thank you for your response! Your website is a wonderful resource. :) I hope you will bear with me for a few additional questions.

      I have a concern about my short, red hair. I've come across one website that describes the use of a headcovering worn by nuns in that era. I was thinking that wearing one would prevent me from sticking out like a sore thumb but wonder if I should even be concerned with such things?

      So...my garb would consist of 3 layers over my torso, yes? What fabrics would you recommend given our heat (at least it's a dry heat, as they say)? I'm assuming from what I've read that my dd's garb would be a smaller, brighter version of my own. For my son, should I just start with a kosode and hakama is "masculine" colors like blue or brown?

      After looking through all the name pages I suspect that choosing names will be harder than our garb. They aren't intuitive lists and you can't just go look up a name that corresponds with a meaning you like. Please tell me that we can at least all share the same surname!

      Many thanks,
      Michelle

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <michelle_bailey@> wrote:
      >
      > > My name is Michelle. I reside in the kingdom of Atenveldt and the Barony of Tir Ysgithr.
      >
      > Welcome!
      >
      > > I'm supposing that a good place to start would be deciding on a name and making a basic outfit.

      > If you want to do a basic Kamakura court look, particularly for summer, you need a white kosode, scarlet nagabakama, hitoe (unlined under-robe) and an uchigi (over robe) in "summer" colors.
      >
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/8.htm and
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/9.htm show what it would look like.
      >
      > Here's my page on a winter ensemble: http://www.wodefordhall.com/display.htm Robe dimensions are here:
      > http://wodefordhall.com/heian.htm
      >
      > There's a nagabakama pattern at http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japmake.htm
      >
      > Be sure to visit the Links and Files sections at our group home if you haven't already done so.
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West Kingdom

    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone