Re: New to group

  • tupan4
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
      The problem is that there isn't much evidence of women (or anyone, if I recall correctly) being named after animals in pre-Edo Japan.

      Japanese names of the type you're after are more frequently based on esoteric qualities (grace, health, generosity, strength). Less common, but still there, are personal names based on plants (especially for women) and geographic features (though it's more frequently mundane things like rice paddies and well frames than awesome stuff like mountains).

      If you're stuck on the lynx thing and still want your name to be registered, you might want to drop that part from your official name and use it as a nickname. That doesn't mean it's correct, but how serious you want to be is really up to you!

      ERIN

    • majora120690@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
        Thank everyone for the good advise and information. I will research some names and just do a known as for Yamaneko.

        The problem is that there isn't much evidence of women (or anyone, if I recall correctly) being named after animals in pre-Edo Japan.

        Japanese names of the type you're after are more frequently based on esoteric qualities (grace, health, generosity, strength). Less common, but still there, are personal names based on plants (especially for women) and geographic features (though it's more frequently mundane things like rice paddies and well frames than awesome stuff like mountains).

        If you're stuck on the lynx thing and still want your name to be registered, you might want to drop that part from your official name and use it as a nickname. That doesn't mean it's correct, but how serious you want to be is really up to you!

        ERIN

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, majora120690@... wrote:

        > I thought that Japanese? prior to the 1600's , women were named for objects or elements? and that most womens names were not documented.? I may have been given the wrong information.? Since my device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would like to keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.? Does anyone have any name suggestions?? Again I am grateful for all of your help.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
          On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM, <majora120690@...> wrote:
          > Thank everyone for the good advise and information. I will research some names and just do a known as for Yamaneko.

          Well...

          You can't do "lynx", partly for the reasons pointed out and partly
          because I'm pretty sure the lynx was not extant in Japan, so the word
          is likely modern. However, there may be something that you can do (as
          I thought I mentioned on Tousando):

          Yama = Mountain
          Ne = Root
          Ko = Child

          -neko is a known suffix for at least the Nara period. I just don't
          know if it was ever a non-imperial suffix, though you could probably
          make the case. Yamaneko could potentially be a usable name if you
          could also document "Yama" in women's names. I know that
          Yamanouchi-dono tried "Ya-Ma-" as an alternative, though the
          construction looks odd (I don't know if that was an actual name or
          not).

          So it isn't that you have to throw out the name, but that you have to
          decide what is important about it.

          Another thing: You would probably be known by your family name moreso
          than your given name in most circumstances, so that would seem, by
          far, to be more important.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2009

            Greetings from solveig!

            > I thought that Japanese? prior to the 1600's , women were named for
            > objects or elements? and that most womens names were not
            > documented.? I may have been given the wrong information.? Since my
            > device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would like to
            > keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.? Does
            > anyone have any name suggestions?? Again I am grateful for all of
            > your help.

            For most of time, most humans had undocumented names. That is, their
            names do not appear on birth certificates, census rolls, and that
            sort of thing. However, we do have a fairly extensive corpus
            available about premodern Japanese feminine names. If you read
            Japanese, I recommend consulting:

            角田 文衞. 日本の女性名―歴史的展望. Tokyo, 国書刊
            行会, 2006.
            ISBN: 4336047456