Re: [SCA-JML] New to group

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
      On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Janet wrote:

      > Greetings:
      > My name is HL Uesugi Yamaneko. I live in Trimaris and am the
      > Seneschal of the Shire of Amurgorod. I am a heavy weapons fighter
      > and combat archer and sometimes do equestrian. Both my son and I
      > both love anything and all things japanese. I came across your yahoo
      > group and could not wait to join to be able to talk with other SCA
      > Japanese personas.
      >
      > I am trying to document my given name of Yamaneko. (mountain cat) I
      > have passed the Yama part but am having a time finding any pre 1700
      > reference names with the ending neko.
      >
      > If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated

      Greetings, and welcome to the madhouse. :)

      Bad news for the name -- you *won't* be able to document it as it's
      not (sorry to say) a name. Yamaneko, for the record, is the Japanese
      word for "wildcat" or "lynx."

      Effingham
    • Albrecht Waldfurster
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
        Good milady,

        I am not an expert on Japanese names or culture, nor do I play one on
        the tourney field. But I am a long-time herald and I did notice one
        issue with your request that you will need to address.

        The time period of the SCA is pre-17th century, that is, prior to 1600.
        Names to be registered with the College of Arms must be consistent with
        naming practices for the specified culture (or cultures), prior to
        _1600_. In the case of Japanese names, that would mean, basically,
        before the Edo (or Tokugawa) period, which began in 1603.

        I wish you best success in your search for a name,

        Woodwose

        --
        Freiherr Albrecht Waldfurster
        Meister des Pelikan-Ordens
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
          Thank you very much for the fast reply and advise.? They have found no problem with my device. it is mountains over a fan with a paw print in the middle.? I would like to keep my? name as close to my device description as possible.??

          I thought that Japanese? prior to the 1600's , women were named for objects or elements? and that most womens names were not documented.? I may have been given the wrong information.? Since my device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would like to keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.? Does anyone have any name suggestions?? Again I am grateful for all of your help.

          I believe Mr. Bryant you may know a couple friends of mine, Countess Carmenetta and Steve and Kim Bloom?
        • Albrecht Waldfurster
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
            Good milady,

            Thank you for providing a couple of hours of engaging conversation with
            my fellow heralds in the College of Arms. I have a couple of questions,
            which I will insert into your message.

            Woodwose

            majora120690@... wrote:
            > Thank you very much for the fast reply and advise. They have found no
            > problem with my device.

            Who are 'they'? Your local herald? A consulting table at a large event?
            An official reply from the Trimarian College of Heralds? The resources
            and experience available at each level will affect how comprehensive
            your information is.

            > it is mountains over a fan with a paw print in the middle. I would
            > like to keep my name as close to my device description as possible.

            Unfortunately, this description of your proposed device (which I assume
            you plan to use in the form of a mon) leaves me confused as to its exact
            appearance. By chance do you have the blazon, as prepared by your
            consulting herald, that you could post as an email, or an electronic
            image you could post, temporarily, to the Files section here?

            > I thought that Japanese prior to the 1600's , women were named for
            > objects or elements and that most womens names were not documented. I
            > may have been given the wrong information.

            I am not a Japanese names expert, but I would suggest you start by
            exploring the Files section here for directly-available documents and
            the Links section for out-of-group references. If that doesn't work, try
            using Google to search for 'Japanese Names SCA' -- I know from
            experience, in helping my son, that this will produce a broad spectrum
            of places to explore.

            > Since my device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would
            > like to keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.

            Linking your name and device in that fashion is a very good idea.
            Heraldically, we call that 'canting arms' and it has a very long
            tradition in European armory.

            I _am_ concerned about your confidence that the device _will_ pass.
            There is much that can happen between now (is it officially in the
            pipeline to the Laurel Sovereign of Arms? no, because it can't be
            submitted without a registered name or an associated in-process name)
            and the Laurel meeting where its registration is finally decided. I am
            NOT saying that your proposed device will not pass as it is, only that
            you must be prepared for some unforeseen event require that the device
            be changed.

            In particular, I will point out that the use of a pawprint is what we
            (the SCA College of Arms) call one Step From Period Practice (SFPP).
            This, in and of itself, is not cause to return the device. But if you
            were to depict the mountain in a form that was not known or used in
            period, that _would_ be another SFPP and sufficient grounds to return
            the device for reconsideration. This is why it is so important for me,
            or anyone else wishing to advise you, to see the proposed blazon and
            your intended graphical representation.

            Does this make sense to you?

            I hope that you will understand that I am describing these issues, not
            to discourage you, but to educate you about possible problems so that
            _we_ can avoid them.

            As for the naming issues, there are many others on this list who can
            help you far more than I can. I trust they will chime in as the evening
            progresses in their time zones.

            > Does anyone have any name suggestions? Again I am grateful for all of
            > your help.

            [...snip...]

            --
            Freiherr Albrecht Waldfurster
            Meister des Pelikan-Ordens
            Inh., Gasthaus zum Wilder Mann
          • tupan4
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
              The problem is that there isn't much evidence of women (or anyone, if I recall correctly) being named after animals in pre-Edo Japan.

              Japanese names of the type you're after are more frequently based on esoteric qualities (grace, health, generosity, strength). Less common, but still there, are personal names based on plants (especially for women) and geographic features (though it's more frequently mundane things like rice paddies and well frames than awesome stuff like mountains).

              If you're stuck on the lynx thing and still want your name to be registered, you might want to drop that part from your official name and use it as a nickname. That doesn't mean it's correct, but how serious you want to be is really up to you!

              ERIN

            • majora120690@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                Thank everyone for the good advise and information. I will research some names and just do a known as for Yamaneko.

                The problem is that there isn't much evidence of women (or anyone, if I recall correctly) being named after animals in pre-Edo Japan.

                Japanese names of the type you're after are more frequently based on esoteric qualities (grace, health, generosity, strength). Less common, but still there, are personal names based on plants (especially for women) and geographic features (though it's more frequently mundane things like rice paddies and well frames than awesome stuff like mountains).

                If you're stuck on the lynx thing and still want your name to be registered, you might want to drop that part from your official name and use it as a nickname. That doesn't mean it's correct, but how serious you want to be is really up to you!

                ERIN

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, majora120690@... wrote:

                > I thought that Japanese? prior to the 1600's , women were named for objects or elements? and that most womens names were not documented.? I may have been given the wrong information.? Since my device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would like to keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.? Does anyone have any name suggestions?? Again I am grateful for all of your help.

              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009
                  On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM, <majora120690@...> wrote:
                  > Thank everyone for the good advise and information. I will research some names and just do a known as for Yamaneko.

                  Well...

                  You can't do "lynx", partly for the reasons pointed out and partly
                  because I'm pretty sure the lynx was not extant in Japan, so the word
                  is likely modern. However, there may be something that you can do (as
                  I thought I mentioned on Tousando):

                  Yama = Mountain
                  Ne = Root
                  Ko = Child

                  -neko is a known suffix for at least the Nara period. I just don't
                  know if it was ever a non-imperial suffix, though you could probably
                  make the case. Yamaneko could potentially be a usable name if you
                  could also document "Yama" in women's names. I know that
                  Yamanouchi-dono tried "Ya-Ma-" as an alternative, though the
                  construction looks odd (I don't know if that was an actual name or
                  not).

                  So it isn't that you have to throw out the name, but that you have to
                  decide what is important about it.

                  Another thing: You would probably be known by your family name moreso
                  than your given name in most circumstances, so that would seem, by
                  far, to be more important.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12, 2009
                    Noble Cousin!

                    Greetings from solveig!

                    > I thought that Japanese? prior to the 1600's , women were named for
                    > objects or elements? and that most womens names were not
                    > documented.? I may have been given the wrong information.? Since my
                    > device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would like to
                    > keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.? Does
                    > anyone have any name suggestions?? Again I am grateful for all of
                    > your help.

                    For most of time, most humans had undocumented names. That is, their
                    names do not appear on birth certificates, census rolls, and that
                    sort of thing. However, we do have a fairly extensive corpus
                    available about premodern Japanese feminine names. If you read
                    Japanese, I recommend consulting:

                    角田 文衞. 日本の女性名―歴史的展望. Tokyo, 国書刊
                    行会, 2006.
                    ISBN: 4336047456