Samurai Eye For The SCA Guy

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
      Reminder - Samurai Eye wants your photos of you in your stylin' Japanese threads.
      http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm

      Guidelines:

      Be sure to include your full SCA name (if you have one), full legal name and where you're from (SCA kingdom and modern city and state). If you are using a photo that someone else took of you, include the modern name of the photographer and get their permission. If the photograph is of a minor child, I MUST have written permission from the child's parent or legal guardian. Some parents don't want their children's photos and names published on the internet and that is their right.

      If you have any commentary about your photo, (what you're wearing, where it was shot, highlights of how you made it, what you'd do differently, etc.) include that.

      And of course, I want everyone to look their best. Some suggestions and reminders:

      If you're posing for a portrait, take the time to arrange your hair, make sure your collar is lying flat, take off your glasses if you can, etc. (I personally kick myself every time I see pictures where my collar is rumpled or my sleeves are three sheets to the wind....)

      If you are proficient with a self-timer, you can shoot yourself. If not, get a helper who knows how to frame you properly.

      Uncluttered backgrounds will show you and your clothing off to better advantage.

      Natural light is better than flash, ideally.

      I have been known to reject photos for:
      [*]badly wrinkled clothing
      [*]poor lighting - no point in showing it if we can't see what it is
      [*]red-eye
      [*]unflattering angles (e.g., photo of short person taken by much taller person who did not know how to correct for it)
      [*]Distracting objects in the background. We want to admire you and your outfit, not know the entire contents of your basement. You don't have to have a Zen garden in your hometown, a blank wall at least assures the focus will be on you.

      You went to the trouble to make stylish clothes, I want you to look your best. Go and look, really look at the photos at http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
      Think about which ones make you go "Wow" and which ones make you go "Meh." (Believe me, one of the worst photos on that page is one of ME that Bovil-dono took in a hotel room. I need to get a better photo of my kariginu....)

    • rayzentz@aim.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
        Just clothing, or would my child in his new armor work? I am in process of finishing his new steel kit. No more p-lastic...

        Padruig

        Reminder - Samurai Eye wants your photos of you in your stylin' Japanese threads.
        http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm

        Guidelines:

        Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

        Recent Activity

        3

        New Members

        Visit Your Group

        Give Back

        Yahoo! for Good

        Get inspired

        by a good cause.

        Y! Toolbar

        Get it Free!

        easy 1-click access

        to your groups.

        Yahoo! Groups

        Start a group

        in 3 easy steps.

        Connect with others.

        .

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, rayzentz@... wrote:

          > Just clothing, or would my child in his new armor work? I am in process of finishing his new steel kit. No more p-lastic...

          Just clothing, please.