Re: Kamiko kimono, and paper clothes.

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2009
      > Posted by: "Elaine Koogler"
      >
      > I have to wonder how similar this is to the "tapa cloth" that they make
      > on a number of South Pacific islands...it's essentially plant fibers
      > that are soaked then beaten to make a fabric type stuff.
      Well Japanese paper is very tough stuff thanks to its method of making
      and the material it's made from. The fibers are not chopped like western
      papers, so in a way it is like tapa cloth. Having used some of it along
      with cheaper Asian copies, I can attest to its strength. There was a
      book published by Kodansha that had samples bound within plus you can
      buy it. Not cheap though!

      Jim
    • luannesews2001
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22, 2009
        Much traditional Japanese paper is made from long fibers--you can see them in the paper and they can easily be 4-6" in length, so even thin paper is strong and thicker paper is very sturdy.
        Paper with printed designs is made of shorter fibers to give a smoother surface for printing, but it's still strong stuff and all of it keeps more strength when wet than western papers made from shorter fibers.

        Luighseach nic Yes, I am a Bookbinder
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2009
          > Posted by: "luannesews2001"
          >
          > Luighseach nic Yes, I am a Bookbinder

          Western books only?

          Jim
        • luannesews2001
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
            No. I practice and teach Coptic, South Asian and East Asian (Chinese and Japanese) bookbinding also.

            Luighseach