Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kamiko kimono, and paper clothes.

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2009
      I have to wonder how similar this is to the "tapa cloth" that they make
      on a number of South Pacific islands...it's essentially plant fibers
      that are soaked then beaten to make a fabric type stuff.

      Kiri

      tupan4 wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Out of curiousity, does anyone know of any extant examples of
      > pre-Edo kamiko 'fabric' or lined garments?
      > >

      > Crap crap crap. I wish I had taken a photo of the card describing
      > this, but I didn't.
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/erink/3083469556/
      > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erink/3083469556/>
      > This is a jinbaori made of paper in the Tokyo National Museum. It's in
      > the same case with a fancy feather one documented as Azuchi-Momoyama
      > period. As I recall, lots of stuff in that section was dress armor.
      >
      > It's not the fancy fringey paper you were looking at, but I think it's
      > likely pre-Edo. Can't prove it.... You must do a research trip to Tokyo!
      >
      > ERIN

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2009
        > Posted by: "Elaine Koogler"
        >
        > I have to wonder how similar this is to the "tapa cloth" that they make
        > on a number of South Pacific islands...it's essentially plant fibers
        > that are soaked then beaten to make a fabric type stuff.
        Well Japanese paper is very tough stuff thanks to its method of making
        and the material it's made from. The fibers are not chopped like western
        papers, so in a way it is like tapa cloth. Having used some of it along
        with cheaper Asian copies, I can attest to its strength. There was a
        book published by Kodansha that had samples bound within plus you can
        buy it. Not cheap though!

        Jim
      • luannesews2001
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22, 2009
          Much traditional Japanese paper is made from long fibers--you can see them in the paper and they can easily be 4-6" in length, so even thin paper is strong and thicker paper is very sturdy.
          Paper with printed designs is made of shorter fibers to give a smoother surface for printing, but it's still strong stuff and all of it keeps more strength when wet than western papers made from shorter fibers.

          Luighseach nic Yes, I am a Bookbinder
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23, 2009
            > Posted by: "luannesews2001"
            >
            > Luighseach nic Yes, I am a Bookbinder

            Western books only?

            Jim
          • luannesews2001
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
              No. I practice and teach Coptic, South Asian and East Asian (Chinese and Japanese) bookbinding also.

              Luighseach