Re: [SCA-JML] Question on household

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 3, 2009
      On Jul 3, 2009, at 9:37 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

      > The only regulation is if you choose to register the household name
      > with
      > the College of Heralds...they do insist that these are period
      > appropriate as a household name. In this case, I suspect it would be
      > something that would/could have been used as a clan name.

      Actually, if memory serves, they've accepted as "household" names,
      names that would not *be* names in the past -- that is, guilds and
      fellowships and companies and so forth. To that end, there should be
      no reason they wouldn't accept a "kumi" or some such group, and
      certainly historical kumi in Japan had their own idea of naming. The
      single most famous in all of Japanese history (albeit non-period) was
      the Shinsengumi, and then there was the Ikk├┤-ikki and all the other
      ikki, which were period.

      Pulling off something like a non "family" Japanse household would
      require a bit of research on the part of the person doing it to get a
      decent name (and, bugger the CoA, a *reasonable* rationale for the
      name and association! -- names don't exist in a vacuum, and the CoA
      *knows* that).

      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 13, 2009
        Of possible interest is the film "Life of Oharu (Saikaku ichidai onna)." It unfortunately is not currently available on DVD, but you may be able to rent the VHS version.

        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045112/

        If you aren't weeping copiously into your sleeves over this one you have no soul.