On-Line Stability

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

      Greetings from Solveig! The only real way to have a more or less
      stable URL is to own a domain. There are several alternatives to
      depending upon yahoo. I'm not really sure how Yahoo supports itself
      at the moment. About the only thing yahoo that I am sure that I am
      using is yahoo mailing lists.

      Anyway. There are more stable alternatives out there:

      1. Try to arrange with the SCA for a subdomain. Something like
      japan.sca.org and have the sca host the mailing list.
      2. Go independent and contract with a fee-based hosting service. Then
      the decision comes down to who or what will own the domain name. For
      example, I currently own three domain names only one of which is
      particularly active.

      Leaving Yahoo may itself present problems. I'm trying to remember
      whether Yahoo was the hosting service which was claiming copyright on
      all material posted on its services.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

        Greetings from Solveig! There will be a non-European dance exhibition
        at Pennsic this year. I think that it would be really spiffy if a
        Japanese "folkloric" (the organizers' term) dance segment were to be
        included in the venue. This would ideally involve dancers, a taiko
        drum, and a flute player. However, they are permitting recorded
        music. I just think that live music would be preferable.

        The venue is scheduled for Middle Eastern Tent, August 1 (second
        Saturday), around 7pm.

        It should be possible to work up a dance number on the preceding
        Thursday and Friday. Is anyone interested?

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

          Greetings from Solveig! There will be a non-European dance exhibition
          at Pennsic this year. I think that it would be really spiffy if a
          Japanese "folkloric" (the organizers' term) dance segment were to be
          included in the venue. This would ideally involve dancers, a taiko
          drum, and a flute player. However, they are permitting recorded
          music. I just think that live music would be preferable.

          ALSO - It would be really really good if someone were willing to be a
          soloist as the dances have accompanying songs. Ideally, at least some
          of the dancers or bystanders would be willing to sing/chant the
          response lines which are typically rather short.

          The venue is scheduled for Middle Eastern Tent, August 1 (second
          Saturday), around 7pm.

          It should be possible to work up a dance number on the preceding
          Thursday and Friday. Is anyone interested?

          Links
        • Lori Hannis
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
            I would so be, but I won't be at pennsic.

            Is there any one who would be willing to video the practices and put them on youtube for all of us to learn them?

            And send sheet music, or a place to get the music,
            as well as the songs?

            I would love to learn to do this for a bardic here in the outlands,

            I think that would be amazing.
            Unless someone from this group is going to Pennsic from the outlands and we can get together at some event and make amazing stuff happen here?

            Yumi

            "Climb the mountains and get theirgood tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows intotrees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the stormstheir energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves ofAutumn."
            ~ John Muir ~

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
              I was thinking more than just this one mailing list, and in a broader sense. (After all, originally the discussion was about what resources could be suggested for newcomers looking for information in the KWH.)
              But, I'm sure we could argue about this for days and completely derail the discussion from historic Japanese information.

              But I can hopefully comment on this without starting a heated discussion:
              <<snip>>
              > Leaving Yahoo may itself present problems. I'm trying to remember
              > whether Yahoo was the hosting service which was claiming copyright on
              > all material posted on its services.
              <<snip>>
              In the Australian and US yahoo terms of service, it looks like they don't claim copyright on your submitted content, however you do grant them a license to do things to it (should they choose), until you remove it from Yahoo!Groups, or they remove it.
              http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ (scroll down the point nine.)
              http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html

              Hope that helps,
              ~Asfridhr
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
                > Also, it would be rather longer than you might imagine. Take a look
                > at Baron Edward's Miscellany. He has revised it at least once and he
                > never claims that it does much more than scratch the surface.

                My own humble shack on the internet comprises my projects and research over the course of about five years in my copious spare time, because I do work for a living to support what is ultimately only a hobby. I know how much time and work I've put in on it - and I've put even shallower scratches in the surface than Effingham-sensei has.

                I pay an annual fee to an ISP to maintain Wodeford Hall because I outgrew the free features of Geocities and its limited bandwidth shortly after people found out I was writing about my projects. I'm certain Effingham-sensei also pays for his webspace, which, BTW, already contains a significant number of the items on the wish list originally posted by Sara-hime.

                If you've never done this sort of thing, you should try picking a single topic, researching it and writing an article. It'll give you an idea what a project like this could entail.

                YahooGroups is by no means perfect, but we can use it without having to pay any fees. A copy of the current, un-updated Known World Handbook will cost you $16.00.

                BTW, there's no law against printing out copies of things you find on the internet that you want to keep. I have a couple of binders full of stuff I'm glad I did that with in the event the website became inactive. I also have image-files saved in my Photos folder on my computer (and backed up to CD).

                Saionji no Hanae
                Advocate's Devil
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009

                  > BTW, there's no law against printing out copies of things you find
                  > on the internet that you want to keep. I have a couple of binders
                  > full of stuff I'm glad I did that with in the event the website
                  > became inactive. I also have image-files saved in my Photos folder
                  > on my computer (and backed up to CD).
                  I'm pretty sure that this is correct for the United States of
                  America, but I suspect that it may not be true in other jurisdictions.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009

                    > I'm pretty sure that this is correct for the United States of
                    > America, but I suspect that it may not be true in other jurisdictions.

                    (Sighs heavily and reminds one of a discussion she knows one was already involved in.)
                    http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3054