Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Known World Handbook project update

  • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
      It wasn't to be part of the book more like an optional thing, a supplement.

      2009/7/1 wodeford <wodeford@...>

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:
      >
      > > What does everyone think? Does this sound like a worth while project for
      > > us, ie SCA in general? or is it a bad idea?
      >
      > The KWH is about being "universal." It's the first step for the newcomer,
      > not the journey. It says so in the announcement. Narrow focus is not the
      > point of the KWH.

    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
        But how stable are mailing lists?
        The editors say the information in the handbook will need to last "at least 10 years," in that sort of long-term view, a static source such as a book surely would be considered to be more likely to be accessible a decade from now.
        (Yes, this list has lasted 10 years to the month -- happy birthday!-- but who can say that Yahoo would even be running mailing lists in another 10? That yahoo.com bit is a fairly important part of any URL that would be published.)

        It is a tricky and interesting question. Not one I'm jealous of the editors having to consider.

        ~Asfridhr

        <<snip>>
        If I were the editor, it would make more sense to me to use a very general article on where to look if someone wants a non-Western persona, with things like links to this group, SCA-China, and so forth.
        <<snip>>
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards
          > <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:
          >> Also I wouldn't mind an essay of sorts on "how to be a foreign
          >> visitor in a European world"
          > "Emissary" to the West Kingdom, citizen of the Known World
          This is a pretty good approach. The Chinese pretty much cast anyone
          interested in trading with China into this role. Further, the
          exchanges of goods were cast as an exchange of gifts. At least that
          is what I recall from reading about Chinese trade a year or so ago
          now. Supposably, one of the problems that the British stirred up in
          China was that the British insisted on direct access to Chinese
          markets. Basically, history is full of British trade wars. Even the
          U.S. Revolution can be cast as a trade war.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

            Greetings from Solveig! The only real way to have a more or less
            stable URL is to own a domain. There are several alternatives to
            depending upon yahoo. I'm not really sure how Yahoo supports itself
            at the moment. About the only thing yahoo that I am sure that I am
            using is yahoo mailing lists.

            Anyway. There are more stable alternatives out there:

            1. Try to arrange with the SCA for a subdomain. Something like
            japan.sca.org and have the sca host the mailing list.
            2. Go independent and contract with a fee-based hosting service. Then
            the decision comes down to who or what will own the domain name. For
            example, I currently own three domain names only one of which is
            particularly active.

            Leaving Yahoo may itself present problems. I'm trying to remember
            whether Yahoo was the hosting service which was claiming copyright on
            all material posted on its services.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

              Greetings from Solveig! There will be a non-European dance exhibition
              at Pennsic this year. I think that it would be really spiffy if a
              Japanese "folkloric" (the organizers' term) dance segment were to be
              included in the venue. This would ideally involve dancers, a taiko
              drum, and a flute player. However, they are permitting recorded
              music. I just think that live music would be preferable.

              The venue is scheduled for Middle Eastern Tent, August 1 (second
              Saturday), around 7pm.

              It should be possible to work up a dance number on the preceding
              Thursday and Friday. Is anyone interested?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

                Greetings from Solveig! There will be a non-European dance exhibition
                at Pennsic this year. I think that it would be really spiffy if a
                Japanese "folkloric" (the organizers' term) dance segment were to be
                included in the venue. This would ideally involve dancers, a taiko
                drum, and a flute player. However, they are permitting recorded
                music. I just think that live music would be preferable.

                ALSO - It would be really really good if someone were willing to be a
                soloist as the dances have accompanying songs. Ideally, at least some
                of the dancers or bystanders would be willing to sing/chant the
                response lines which are typically rather short.

                The venue is scheduled for Middle Eastern Tent, August 1 (second
                Saturday), around 7pm.

                It should be possible to work up a dance number on the preceding
                Thursday and Friday. Is anyone interested?

                Links
              • Lori Hannis
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                  I would so be, but I won't be at pennsic.

                  Is there any one who would be willing to video the practices and put them on youtube for all of us to learn them?

                  And send sheet music, or a place to get the music,
                  as well as the songs?

                  I would love to learn to do this for a bardic here in the outlands,

                  I think that would be amazing.
                  Unless someone from this group is going to Pennsic from the outlands and we can get together at some event and make amazing stuff happen here?

                  Yumi

                  "Climb the mountains and get theirgood tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows intotrees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the stormstheir energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves ofAutumn."
                  ~ John Muir ~

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
                    I was thinking more than just this one mailing list, and in a broader sense. (After all, originally the discussion was about what resources could be suggested for newcomers looking for information in the KWH.)
                    But, I'm sure we could argue about this for days and completely derail the discussion from historic Japanese information.

                    But I can hopefully comment on this without starting a heated discussion:
                    <<snip>>
                    > Leaving Yahoo may itself present problems. I'm trying to remember
                    > whether Yahoo was the hosting service which was claiming copyright on
                    > all material posted on its services.
                    <<snip>>
                    In the Australian and US yahoo terms of service, it looks like they don't claim copyright on your submitted content, however you do grant them a license to do things to it (should they choose), until you remove it from Yahoo!Groups, or they remove it.
                    http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ (scroll down the point nine.)
                    http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html

                    Hope that helps,
                    ~Asfridhr
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
                      > Also, it would be rather longer than you might imagine. Take a look
                      > at Baron Edward's Miscellany. He has revised it at least once and he
                      > never claims that it does much more than scratch the surface.

                      My own humble shack on the internet comprises my projects and research over the course of about five years in my copious spare time, because I do work for a living to support what is ultimately only a hobby. I know how much time and work I've put in on it - and I've put even shallower scratches in the surface than Effingham-sensei has.

                      I pay an annual fee to an ISP to maintain Wodeford Hall because I outgrew the free features of Geocities and its limited bandwidth shortly after people found out I was writing about my projects. I'm certain Effingham-sensei also pays for his webspace, which, BTW, already contains a significant number of the items on the wish list originally posted by Sara-hime.

                      If you've never done this sort of thing, you should try picking a single topic, researching it and writing an article. It'll give you an idea what a project like this could entail.

                      YahooGroups is by no means perfect, but we can use it without having to pay any fees. A copy of the current, un-updated Known World Handbook will cost you $16.00.

                      BTW, there's no law against printing out copies of things you find on the internet that you want to keep. I have a couple of binders full of stuff I'm glad I did that with in the event the website became inactive. I also have image-files saved in my Photos folder on my computer (and backed up to CD).

                      Saionji no Hanae
                      Advocate's Devil
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009

                        > BTW, there's no law against printing out copies of things you find
                        > on the internet that you want to keep. I have a couple of binders
                        > full of stuff I'm glad I did that with in the event the website
                        > became inactive. I also have image-files saved in my Photos folder
                        > on my computer (and backed up to CD).
                        I'm pretty sure that this is correct for the United States of
                        America, but I suspect that it may not be true in other jurisdictions.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009

                          > I'm pretty sure that this is correct for the United States of
                          > America, but I suspect that it may not be true in other jurisdictions.

                          (Sighs heavily and reminds one of a discussion she knows one was already involved in.)
                          http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3054