Known World Handbook project update

  • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
      Mina-tachi,

      I got this in my mail box (reprinted in it's entirety as
      requested/required), I was thinking, what if we made a "Known World Handbook
      project update; Japanese Edition" that contains the SCA basics for a
      Japanese Persona,

      - Basic Clothing, walking around and perhaps a formal pattern
      - Armor; creating a starter fighting/amour kit (patterns and how-to
      articles)
      - Japanese customs
      - What you need for events (in addition to the basics in the handbook and
      Japanese Equivs if applicable.)
      - brief history of Japan (like 4 pages)
      - establishing a persona (like picking an era etc.)
      - attending court (what to do if called, what is happening, and doing it
      all with a convincing Japanese flair)
      - ranks and awards in the SCA (what they mean, how to spot royalty, etc.)
      what the equiv Japanese titles would be
      - detailed and specific articles covering the myriad of arts & sciences
      that came out of Japan (kumihito, embroidery, the cloth dying (with beans),
      etc)
      - Resource listing of basic history, naming conventions, etc.
      - Mon, use, history, and creating in a SCA context (there is a lovely
      article on the SCA heraldry subsection that would be a lovely addition.)
      - Tents their nonliving quarter use, and what was actually used for
      sleeping in during a campaign, and what the tents in a Japanese war camp
      were used for
      - Encampment things for a Japanese war Camp, screens, braziers, etc.

      and whatever else would be needed. And instead of it being in paper format,
      just publish it as a pdf for download off like the SCA website.

      What does everyone think? Does this sound like a worth while project for
      us, ie SCA in general? or is it a bad idea?

      Sara

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009

        Greetings from Solveig! It's actually a very major project. Quite a
        few years ago now Countess Arastorm the Golden conceived the idea of
        a series of "persona" books with one book per culture. If a Japanese
        "volume" were to be a collaborative venture, then I can easily
        imagine a fair amount of contention. For example, the history of
        Japanese rank and title is actually rather complex. Baron Edward and
        myself have rather different ideas on how to position Society ranks
        and titles with respect to historical ranks and titles. The executive
        summary of this difference is that Baron Edward advocates using high-
        ranking positions in the imperial court. I believe that many people
        who do Japanese in the Society prefer to be "samurai" and try to
        relate titles and stuff to a world in which the shogun (a mere rank 5
        official in the imperial system) is the king.

        Anyway, Countess Arastorm included a number of suggested sections
        including religion and what naught. Japanese religion is rather
        complex all by itself.

        I'm not saying that your idea is without merit. It has lots of merit.
        I'm just saying that it is rather difficult to do a good job of it.
        Also, it would be rather longer than you might imagine. Take a look
        at Baron Edward's Miscellany. He has revised it at least once and he
        never claims that it does much more than scratch the surface.

        > and whatever else would be needed. And instead of it being in
        > paper format,
        > just publish it as a pdf for download off like the SCA website.

        I'm an antique. I vastly prefer paper format. And, yes I do own a
        copy of Acrobat Pro. I've been using it for years now.

        Incidentally, you might want to consider a Wiki system if you are
        really attached to the idea of an online approach.
        There is already a group of people out there which have committed
        themselves to put together a Wiki about premodern Japan, but their
        efforts are not directed toward the SCA. As I recall, Baron Edward is
        one of the major contributors. I am mired down in my various other
        projects and pretty much haven't posted anything to it.

      • Bryant Richards
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
          >Does this sound like a worth while project for us, ie SCA in general?
          Yes it does sound worth while, atleast to me. Also I wouldn't mind an essay of sorts on "how to be a foreign visitor in a European world"

          In Honor and Service,
          Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:
            > Also I wouldn't mind an essay of sorts on "how to be a foreign visitor in a European world"

            Of possible interest:
            http://www.wodefordhall.com/japanesething.htm

            Saionji no Hanae
            "Emissary" to the West Kingdom, citizen of the Known World
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:

              > What does everyone think? Does this sound like a worth while project for
              > us, ie SCA in general? or is it a bad idea?

              The KWH is about being "universal." It's the first step for the newcomer, not the journey. It says so in the announcement. Narrow focus is not the point of the KWH.

              One of the things I did when I started publishing my SCA-related material on the web was put together a page of resources for Japanese personae. (Reminds me, I need to give it a once over for dead links and see what else can be added at some point). Last fall I also went through the SCA-JML "Links" section and gave it a thorough housecleaning and added more resources that I had found in my journeys. (HINT: Anyone can contribute to the "Links" and "Files" sections. Go check what you have bookmarked on your computer and if you have something useful to share, put it in there!)

              The reality is that only a small percentage of KWH users will have any interest in pursuing a Japanese persona. If I were the editor, it would make more sense to me to use a very general article on where to look if someone wants a non-Western persona, with things like links to this group, SCA-China, and so forth.

              Two sen worth,
            • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                It wasn't to be part of the book more like an optional thing, a supplement.

                2009/7/1 wodeford <wodeford@...>

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:
                >
                > > What does everyone think? Does this sound like a worth while project for
                > > us, ie SCA in general? or is it a bad idea?
                >
                > The KWH is about being "universal." It's the first step for the newcomer,
                > not the journey. It says so in the announcement. Narrow focus is not the
                > point of the KWH.

              • quokkaqueen
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                  But how stable are mailing lists?
                  The editors say the information in the handbook will need to last "at least 10 years," in that sort of long-term view, a static source such as a book surely would be considered to be more likely to be accessible a decade from now.
                  (Yes, this list has lasted 10 years to the month -- happy birthday!-- but who can say that Yahoo would even be running mailing lists in another 10? That yahoo.com bit is a fairly important part of any URL that would be published.)

                  It is a tricky and interesting question. Not one I'm jealous of the editors having to consider.

                  ~Asfridhr

                  <<snip>>
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards
                    > <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:
                    >> Also I wouldn't mind an essay of sorts on "how to be a foreign
                    >> visitor in a European world"
                    > "Emissary" to the West Kingdom, citizen of the Known World
                    This is a pretty good approach. The Chinese pretty much cast anyone
                    interested in trading with China into this role. Further, the
                    exchanges of goods were cast as an exchange of gifts. At least that
                    is what I recall from reading about Chinese trade a year or so ago
                    now. Supposably, one of the problems that the British stirred up in
                    China was that the British insisted on direct access to Chinese
                    markets. Basically, history is full of British trade wars. Even the
                    U.S. Revolution can be cast as a trade war.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

                      Greetings from Solveig! The only real way to have a more or less
                      stable URL is to own a domain. There are several alternatives to
                      depending upon yahoo. I'm not really sure how Yahoo supports itself
                      at the moment. About the only thing yahoo that I am sure that I am
                      using is yahoo mailing lists.

                      Anyway. There are more stable alternatives out there:

                      1. Try to arrange with the SCA for a subdomain. Something like
                      japan.sca.org and have the sca host the mailing list.
                      2. Go independent and contract with a fee-based hosting service. Then
                      the decision comes down to who or what will own the domain name. For
                      example, I currently own three domain names only one of which is
                      particularly active.

                      Leaving Yahoo may itself present problems. I'm trying to remember
                      whether Yahoo was the hosting service which was claiming copyright on
                      all material posted on its services.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

                        Greetings from Solveig! There will be a non-European dance exhibition
                        at Pennsic this year. I think that it would be really spiffy if a
                        Japanese "folkloric" (the organizers' term) dance segment were to be
                        included in the venue. This would ideally involve dancers, a taiko
                        drum, and a flute player. However, they are permitting recorded
                        music. I just think that live music would be preferable.

                        The venue is scheduled for Middle Eastern Tent, August 1 (second
                        Saturday), around 7pm.

                        It should be possible to work up a dance number on the preceding
                        Thursday and Friday. Is anyone interested?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

                          Greetings from Solveig! There will be a non-European dance exhibition
                          at Pennsic this year. I think that it would be really spiffy if a
                          Japanese "folkloric" (the organizers' term) dance segment were to be
                          included in the venue. This would ideally involve dancers, a taiko
                          drum, and a flute player. However, they are permitting recorded
                          music. I just think that live music would be preferable.

                          ALSO - It would be really really good if someone were willing to be a
                          soloist as the dances have accompanying songs. Ideally, at least some
                          of the dancers or bystanders would be willing to sing/chant the
                          response lines which are typically rather short.

                          The venue is scheduled for Middle Eastern Tent, August 1 (second
                          Saturday), around 7pm.

                          It should be possible to work up a dance number on the preceding
                          Thursday and Friday. Is anyone interested?

                          Links
                        • Lori Hannis
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                            I would so be, but I won't be at pennsic.

                            Is there any one who would be willing to video the practices and put them on youtube for all of us to learn them?

                            And send sheet music, or a place to get the music,
                            as well as the songs?

                            I would love to learn to do this for a bardic here in the outlands,

                            I think that would be amazing.
                            Unless someone from this group is going to Pennsic from the outlands and we can get together at some event and make amazing stuff happen here?

                            Yumi

                            "Climb the mountains and get theirgood tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows intotrees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the stormstheir energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves ofAutumn."
                            ~ John Muir ~

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
                              I was thinking more than just this one mailing list, and in a broader sense. (After all, originally the discussion was about what resources could be suggested for newcomers looking for information in the KWH.)
                              But, I'm sure we could argue about this for days and completely derail the discussion from historic Japanese information.

                              But I can hopefully comment on this without starting a heated discussion:
                              <<snip>>
                              > Leaving Yahoo may itself present problems. I'm trying to remember
                              > whether Yahoo was the hosting service which was claiming copyright on
                              > all material posted on its services.
                              <<snip>>
                              In the Australian and US yahoo terms of service, it looks like they don't claim copyright on your submitted content, however you do grant them a license to do things to it (should they choose), until you remove it from Yahoo!Groups, or they remove it.
                              http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ (scroll down the point nine.)
                              http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html

                              Hope that helps,
                              ~Asfridhr
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 2, 2009
                                > Also, it would be rather longer than you might imagine. Take a look
                                > at Baron Edward's Miscellany. He has revised it at least once and he
                                > never claims that it does much more than scratch the surface.

                                My own humble shack on the internet comprises my projects and research over the course of about five years in my copious spare time, because I do work for a living to support what is ultimately only a hobby. I know how much time and work I've put in on it - and I've put even shallower scratches in the surface than Effingham-sensei has.

                                I pay an annual fee to an ISP to maintain Wodeford Hall because I outgrew the free features of Geocities and its limited bandwidth shortly after people found out I was writing about my projects. I'm certain Effingham-sensei also pays for his webspace, which, BTW, already contains a significant number of the items on the wish list originally posted by Sara-hime.

                                If you've never done this sort of thing, you should try picking a single topic, researching it and writing an article. It'll give you an idea what a project like this could entail.

                                YahooGroups is by no means perfect, but we can use it without having to pay any fees. A copy of the current, un-updated Known World Handbook will cost you $16.00.

                                BTW, there's no law against printing out copies of things you find on the internet that you want to keep. I have a couple of binders full of stuff I'm glad I did that with in the event the website became inactive. I also have image-files saved in my Photos folder on my computer (and backed up to CD).

                                Saionji no Hanae
                                Advocate's Devil
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009

                                  > BTW, there's no law against printing out copies of things you find
                                  > on the internet that you want to keep. I have a couple of binders
                                  > full of stuff I'm glad I did that with in the event the website
                                  > became inactive. I also have image-files saved in my Photos folder
                                  > on my computer (and backed up to CD).
                                  I'm pretty sure that this is correct for the United States of
                                  America, but I suspect that it may not be true in other jurisdictions.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009

                                    > I'm pretty sure that this is correct for the United States of
                                    > America, but I suspect that it may not be true in other jurisdictions.

                                    (Sighs heavily and reminds one of a discussion she knows one was already involved in.)
                                    http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3054