SCA Basics

  • Stephen Partington
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi. I have just joined the group. The links suggest a wide base of interest. I'm trying to find the focus of the group, and the meaning of the acronym SCA. Can anyone help? Steve
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
        On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Stephen Partington<sjp.japan@...> wrote:
        > Hi. I have just joined the group. The links suggest a wide base of interest. I'm trying to find the focus of the group, and the meaning of the acronym SCA. Can anyone help? Steve

        Steve-dono, welcome to SCA-JML!

        SCA is the Society for Creative Anachronism, an international
        not-for-profit organization focused on historical recreation;
        primarily medieval Europe, but as you can see our members span the
        globe with any culture that had interaction with Europe before 1600.
        Heck, there are even people that do New World personas*. See
        http://www.sca.org for more information.

        We are the Japanese Mailing List, meaning our focus is on recreating
        Japan within the SCA. This includes fighting, clothing, names, and
        food.

        What are your own interests, and how can we help you? If you let us
        know what region you live in, we might be able to suggest some groups
        near you.

        -Ii Katsumori

        *A persona is a name and "character" that we take on in our
        recreation. For instance, I am "Ii Saburou Katsumori" when I am
        portraying Japanese, but I may be "Edward Godric Logan" if I am doing
        something more European.
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
          Welcome to our list.

          SCA stands for Society for Creative Anachronisms...we are a non-profit
          educational Medieval/Renaissance recreation group that is international
          in scope (we even have a Kingdom in Australia/New Zealand). The
          organization is organized into Kingdoms (regional groupings...for
          instance, I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia which is DC, Maryland,
          Virginia, North and South Carolinas and a tiny piece of Georgia).Within
          each Kingdom, there are local groups, Baronies (with sub-groups,
          Cantons) and Shires. Each of these groups have "events," which are
          gatherings of participants usually from groups that are nearby, though
          there are some that bring people in from all over the Kingdom (region).
          The main focus of the SCA is Medieval/Renaissance Europe, though there
          are those who research and recreate Middle Eastern and Far Eastern
          cultures.

          Each of us assumes a persona, a recreation of someone who might have
          lived (cannot be an actual historical or even fictional person--no
          Richard II or even Richard of England, no Gandalfs, etc.) in whatever
          time/place we choose. We then research stuff about that person to make
          them more real. Some of us "time travel"...which means that we have fun
          wearing clothing and looking at cultures other than the one we
          originally chose.

          For more information about the SCA as an organization, you can go to
          http://www.sca.org, the home page for our group, where you will find
          links to all kinds of information.

          This particular list is one of many that addresses a topic or topics of
          special interest to some folks. Often these lists will attract people
          who do not participate in the SCA but find our discussions interesting
          or informative. This particular group/elist concentrates on Japanese
          culture starting around 800 C.E. and ending around 1600 C. E....its
          history, culture, and other facets of that civilization. We also talk
          about how we go about recreating that culture...armor, fighting, names,
          heraldry, food, whatever comes to mind. There are a number of experts
          on this list in this area, including a couple whose works have been
          published.

          My persona is Japanese, but I dabble in other cultures as well. One of
          my main interests is cooking, and back in February I directed the
          preparation of a feast (large dinner party) of Middle Eastern food,
          mostly Andalusian (southern Muslim Spain). However, a couple of other
          denizens of this list and I are working on writing/publishing a
          translation of a Japanese cookbook that's slightly beyond our SCA
          period. My SCA name is Minowara Kiritsubo, but most folks call me
          Kiri. In real life, I'm a retired software instructor who occasionally
          does some writing and still does an occasional contract teaching gig.
          My husband and I live in southern Maryland, which is the Barony of Dun
          Carraig in the Kingdom of Atlantia.

          I hope all of this helps. If you have further questions, don't hesitate
          to ask. If I can't answer you, someone else in the group will probably
          jump in. In fact you'll probably get numerous responses to this query!

          Good luck to you!

          Kiri

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009

            Greetings from Solveig! Yet another welcome to our mailing list. The
            scope and level of discussions here is extremely variable. Sometimes
            a few of us get into protracted obstruse debates which can go on for
            months. Several years ago, there was such an "argument" about whether
            to tie obi in the front or the back. It went on for months and I'm
            pretty sure that it made quite a few members yawn. However, our
            general knowledge about obi has improved. Similarly we can have
            rather long and sometimes tedious discussions about how things were
            carried while traveling, military cooking, military sleeping
            arrangements, and stuff like that. However, our goal is generally to
            learn how to do a better job of recreating pre-modern Japan.

            Sometime new folk show up and ask questions that have been asked time
            and time again and become unhappy when everyone isn't all that
            interested in their question. Fortunately, there is a discussion
            archive, and you may occasionally be asked to sift through it for
            your answer. Finally, please understand that sometimes questions can
            take significant time both in research and simple writing to provide
            a good answer.