Momme, Ryo, Kobun

  • Chris Buechler
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009
      Hello List!

      Does anyone know of a source for plastic/fake Japanese medieval currency?
      I had dropped a line to J-List, but they have never gotten back to me.

      Thanks,
      Yamauchi Sanosuke

    • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009
        Have you tried contacting an echanger's guild? I thin there is one in the
        West Kingdom, you might ask if they can recreate a coin (modified to have a
        like the current AS year) for you? Who knows they might think it'd be a
        novel challenge.

        Sara

        2009/6/25 Chris Buechler <lord.dartois@...>

        > Hello List!
        >
        > Does anyone know of a source for plastic/fake Japanese medieval currency?
        > I had dropped a line to J-List, but they have never gotten back to me.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Yamauchi Sanosuke

      • Melanie Wing
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009
          You could try the sca_moneyer group.

          -Ishikawa

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009

            Greetings from Solveig! Probably you need to find a connection to a
            Japanese toy store. Anyway, you have lots of alternatives. Following
            the Taika Reform, gold, silver, and copper/bronze coins were issued,
            but later on all but the copper/bronze coins fell out of use. In the
            Kamakura Period at about the time of the Mongol Invasion, documents
            generally refer to "strings of cash" which were strings of these
            copper/bronze coins which conveniently had holes in the center strung
            on strings. Later on, gold and silver mining resulted in gold and
            silver coinage being reintroduced. These usually represented rather
            large sums and were not used for ordinary purchases.

            I think that this is probably the sort of thing that you are looking
            for:

            http://www.amazon.co.jp/%e6%99%82%e4%bb%a3%e5%8a%87%e5%b0%8f%e7%89%a9-%e3%80%8e%e5%b0%8f%e5%88%a4-%e4%b8%80%e4%b8%a1%e3%80%8f-%e6%99%82%e4%bb%a3%e5%8a%87
            でお馴染みの小判です。/dp/B001DX6JN0/ref=sr_1_47?
            ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1245990889&sr=1-47

            However, the notation says that they will not ship outside of Japan.
            However, there is a fellow who belongs to this mailing list who may
            be willing to forward it to you. Also, you may be able to order it
            through rakuten www.rakuten.co.jp

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009

              Greetings from Solveig! The hot link doesn't work, but cutting and
              pasting the URL does work. I should point out to you that although
              the picture shows a pile of these things, they are sold strictly one
              at a time. They are so called "koban" 小判 coins and represent one
              ryou 両 Ooban 大判 coins look pretty much the same, but are bigger.

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 28, 2009

                Greetings from Solveig! Is this mailing list still alive?

              • Maryam
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 28, 2009
                  It has been a pretty quiet weekend...

                  Solveig Throndardottir said:
                  > Noble Cousins!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig! Is this mailing list still alive?
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar
                • Jamie Ritter
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 28, 2009
                    Yeah, I only had 67 emails waiting for me when I got back from our baronial get together! ha ha ha!
                    Fuyutsukime

                    "Well behaved women rarely made history"

                    ________________________________
                    > Greetings from Solveig! Is this mailing list still alive?
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar

                  • Lori Hannis
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 28, 2009
                      Since indeed the list has been so quiet...

                      I have a question

                      The collar, what's the easiest way to attach it to an unlined kosode?

                      I was thinking single stitched and then serged no, it's not period, but if any ones looking that close to my underwear we've got more issues than if it's period or not.

                      Thank you

                      Emeline, Ji, Yumi, which ever alterego i am today

                      "Climb the mountains and get theirgood tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows intotrees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the stormstheir energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves ofAutumn."
                      ~ John Muir ~

                    • JL Badgley
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                        On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Lori Hannis<charmed3x3@...> wrote:
                        > Since indeed the list has been so quiet...
                        >
                        > I have a question
                        >
                        > The collar, what's the easiest way to attach it to an unlined kosode?
                        >
                        > I was thinking single stitched and then serged no, it's not period, but if any ones looking that close to my underwear we've got more issues than if it's period or not.

                        Do you want the collar to be unlined?

                        Normally, you would attach it the same way--attach it to the inside,
                        then fold it over and attach it on the outside. With a steady hand
                        you can keep the outer stitching fairly invisible (you can do the same
                        on the inside, but it isn't as easy to keep all of the stitching there
                        hidden, but you can at least keep it neat).

                        -Ii
                      • Lori Hannis
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                          No the collars not unlined just the Kosode.

                          looking at a kimono in our local asian shop they just surged it on, and since no one see's it,
                          I was wondering if that was cool and fruity,
                          my handwork sucksit's not neat and tidy at all is all

                          "Climb the mountains and get theirgood tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows intotrees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the stormstheir energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves ofAutumn."
                          ~ John Muir ~

                          ________________________________
                          > Since indeed the list has been so quiet...
                          >
                          > I have a question
                          >
                          > The collar, what's the easiest way to attach it to an unlined kosode?
                          >
                          > I was thinking single stitched and then serged no, it's not period, but if any ones looking that close to my underwear we've got more issues than if it's period or not.

                          Do you want the collar to be unlined?

                          Normally, you would attach it the same way--attach it to the inside,
                          then fold it over and attach it on the outside. With a steady hand
                          you can keep the outer stitching fairly invisible (you can do the same
                          on the inside, but it isn't as easy to keep all of the stitching there
                          hidden, but you can at least keep it neat).

                        • Elaine Koogler
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                            I find it difficult to serge around the curve at the neck But if you
                            can do it, I guess it'd be ok.

                            Unlike Ii-dono, I usually sew the outside down on the machine, then
                            blind stitch the collar to the inside. Works pretty well, though you do
                            need to ease the fullness of the body of the garment to the collar...and
                            this would, I suspect, make serging a little difficult.

                            Kiri

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Lori Hannis <charmed3x3@...> wrote:

                              > No the collars not unlined just the Kosode.
                              >
                              > looking at a kimono in our local asian shop they just surged it on, and since no one see's it,
                              > I was wondering if that was cool and fruity,
                              > my handwork sucksit's not neat and tidy at all is all

                              Couldn've been a very good "kimono" then, though you might see serging on an inexpensive cotton yukata.

                              Personally, I can't get a collar to lie right with a machine. If you can make it work, knock yourself out.

                            • Lori Hannis
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                                I can't get the collar to lie right, and no it wasn't a very good one, but lateral thinking and all.

                                I can't get the collar to lie right in the best of times,

                                nothing on that works, so i figured to save myself a whole ton of heart ache and just realize it's *NOT* going to lay right for me.

                                and just finish the edge that way

                                guess it wasn't a good idea.

                                Thanks though

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                                  The problem is that you are trying to fit a straight piece of fabric
                                  (the collar) to a curve around the neck. What you have to do is to ease
                                  the fabric so that it will fit around the curve. There are several ways
                                  of doing this. You can either start by pinning the collar at the
                                  beginning and end of the curve. Then put a pin in halfway between the
                                  two pins, making sure the excess fabric is divided evenly between the
                                  two original pins. Then divide those half in half and put in a pin.
                                  Keep doing this until you've pretty much removed all of the excess
                                  fabric. It's kind of hard to describe, but I bet you've got someone
                                  near you who is an experienced sewer and can show you how to do this.
                                  If they're not sure what you're talking about, ask them to show you how
                                  they ease a sleeve into the armhole of a shirt or blouse. Same idea
                                  exactly. I do this pinning the outside of the collar to the right side
                                  of the garment.

                                  Hope this helps!

                                  Kiri

                                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                                    I don't think is period, but, I sandwich the kosode fabric between the two
                                    layers of the collar and stitch it that way.

                                    Humbly,
                                    -Sukeie (whom after 17 yrs. got his AoA). I thought I was still pretty
                                    sneaky, oh well, they got me!!

                                    To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                                    But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009

                                      > looking at a kimono in our local asian shop they just surged it on,
                                      > and since no one see's it,
                                      Ahh, it's probably not a kimono. If you are lucky, it's a yukata, but
                                      it may not even be that.
                                      I have two modern kimono. I can assure you that there is no visible
                                      surging in either. I haven't taken them apart, so I can not
                                      completely guarantee a lack of surging.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009

                                        > -Sukeie (whom after 17 yrs. got his AoA). I thought I was still pretty
                                        > sneaky, oh well, they got me!!
                                        Congratulations! I think you even managed to take longer than me. As
                                        I recall, it took me 16 years. So, you out-did me by one year.
                                        Seriously, congratulations. I suspect that you are way way way past-due.

                                      • JL Badgley
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 29, 2009
                                          On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Elaine Koogler<ekoogler1@...> wrote:
                                          > Unlike Ii-dono, I usually sew the outside down on the machine, then
                                          > blind stitch the collar to the inside.  Works pretty well, though you do
                                          > need to ease the fullness of the body of the garment to the collar...and
                                          > this would, I suspect, make serging a little difficult.

                                          Sorry, that was a brain fart on my part--I was mixing up inside and
                                          outside, and what you are talking about is pretty much what I do, but
                                          I was having problems visualizing it.

                                          I agree with Saionji-hime, though: I can't get the corners to work
                                          well on a machine. If you can hand sew the back and the corners, you
                                          could probably machine sew straight down the sides without much
                                          problem.

                                          -Ii
                                        • Elaine Koogler
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 30, 2009
                                            Yeah, it's a bit of a trick...you have to ease the fullness that results
                                            from trying to fit a straight piece of fabric to the curve of the
                                            neckline. If you know anything about tailoring/sewing, it's the same
                                            technique that's used to fit a sleeve to an armscye (armhole) in a
                                            garment. In that case, you're fitting a larger curved piece to a
                                            smaller curve...this to allow enough fullness in the sleeve so that you
                                            can easily move your arm.

                                            One thing that will help the collar look better is to be sure to clip
                                            the curve...take your scissors and clip down to the seam along the area
                                            where you've sewn the straight piece to the necklline. Some books even
                                            show taking a v-shaped piece out. You clip from the edge of the fabric
                                            down to the seam. When you finish, you should be able to open the
                                            neckline out flat without any puckering.

                                            Hope this helps!

                                            Kiri

                                            JL Badgley wrote:

                                            > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Elaine Koogler<ekoogler1@...
                                            > <mailto:ekoogler1%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                                            > > Unlike Ii-dono, I usually sew the outside down on the machine, then
                                            > > blind stitch the collar to the inside. Works pretty well, though you do
                                            > > need to ease the fullness of the body of the garment to the collar...and
                                            > > this would, I suspect, make serging a little difficult.
                                            >
                                            > Sorry, that was a brain fart on my part--I was mixing up inside and
                                            > outside, and what you are talking about is pretty much what I do, but
                                            > I was having problems visualizing it.
                                            >
                                            > I agree with Saionji-hime, though: I can't get the corners to work
                                            > well on a machine. If you can hand sew the back and the corners, you
                                            > could probably machine sew straight down the sides without much
                                            > problem.
                                            >
                                            > -Ii

                                          • Bryant Richards
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 30, 2009
                                              Wonder if anyone could do a "kosode 101" class thing on Youtube? I think it would help alot, especially if it can be shown on a very step by step process (how to measure yourself for it, cutting the fabric, etc). From what I can tell if you can learn the kosode you can do alot more garb. Seems there a a few Japanese garbs that is little more than a variation on the kosode (I know it is more complicated than that but you know what I mean)

                                              In Honor and Service,
                                              Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 30, 2009
                                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

                                                > Wonder if anyone could do a "kosode 101" class thing on Youtube?

                                                Of possible interest:
                                                http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

                                              • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 30, 2009
                                                  I don't tube at all it is the bane of the Internet up there with "networking
                                                  sites" and yahoo.

                                                  Sara

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 1, 2009

                                                    > Wonder if anyone could do a "kosode 101" class thing on Youtube? I
                                                    > think it would help alot, especially if it can be shown on a very
                                                    > step by step process (how to measure yourself for it, cutting the
                                                    > fabric, etc). From what I can tell if you can learn the kosode you
                                                    > can do alot more garb. Seems there a a few Japanese garbs that is
                                                    > little more than a variation on the kosode (I know it is more
                                                    > complicated than that but you know what I mean)
                                                    While some measuring is useful, you should not imagine that kosode
                                                    are "fitted" or "cut to fit". Rather, a lot of the "fitting" is done
                                                    while you put on wafuku (Japanese clothing). I am told that the same
                                                    is true for Turkish clothing. The reason for measurement is to make
                                                    sure that the thing is not too big and not too small with a LOT of
                                                    leeway in both directions, not that it "fits".