Re: Re: What makes one book better than another?

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 62 , Jun 14, 2009
      > Posted by: "Bryant Richards"
      >
      > I'm sorry, have you read him? He did do the research, he has massive amounts of footnotes and resources, etc.
      No he does not have massive amounts.... He's available on google books
      so I read good size chunks in areas that I have read fairly extensively
      in. The statements I made about inadequate footnoting by modern
      standards and either poor or misunderstood research are my personal
      findings, but anybody with any training in history would probably make
      these same findings.
      > I think the real question becomes did he translate his research correctly.
      No it does not, he has not presented the data properly. It cannot be
      confirmed in many cases. He is an unreliable source.
      > That even people who haven't read it think it must just be horrible.
      And I say now that I've read enough and found mistakes and seen the big
      gaping gaps, I can say it's not a useful source period. Since you can't
      trace back any differences to the sources he used, anything that only
      Brinkley says is useless for research purposes. Use other books.
      > And I was trying to find out why, was there another book that said to not read Brinkley? Or maybe a review that said it was wrong? Anyway not trying to bring the argument up again, just saying that if you had read the book you couldn't have knowling made a statement that there is no research and no footnotes to back up the book.

      Since I read good size chunks and skimmed the rest I can make those
      statements. If you are impressed by his writing in terms of academic
      rigor, then you need to look at the links or read the books on the study
      of history that have already been sent.

      Jim
    • James Eckman
      Message 62 of 62 , Jun 14, 2009