OT OOP American Cancer Society Relay for Life

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2009
      Good Friends,
      It is time once again that I come to you to ask that you contribute to
      the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life...our Barony is a team
      participant in the Relay for Life of Calvert County. We do this each
      year because we all have experienced the disruption that this awful
      disease can cause in our lives. Either we've had the disease (I am a
      three-time survivor...colon x 2 and breast) or because a friend or
      family member has had the disease. I personally have lost both parents
      to cancer and a step-mother to the side-effects of radiation. I also
      have lost one very good friend a little over a year ago and have another
      who has been battling breast cancer for 10 years...she is in stage 4 and
      will be traveling to the M. D. Anderson clinic in Dallas to participate
      in a medical trial. Without the work of the ACS, I would not be here,
      and my good friend would not either!

      About 80% of the funds that we raise is spent on doing research within
      the ACS, funding research grants from new researchers, providing
      community programs for cancer patients and their caregivers (Reach to
      Recovery, Road to Recovery and Look Good,Feel Better are but a few),
      education about prevention and, on occasion, television advertising like
      the Birthday commercial currently being shown. Relay for Life has grown
      from a single isolated event in Washington State where a doctor thought
      he'd try to raise money by walking around a track for 24 hours, to an
      international effort and the signature fund-raising event of the ACS.

      It is my hope that you will see fit to contribute to my effort. To do
      so, you can go to my Relay web page
      <http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09SA?px=3678599&pg=personal&fr_id=13230>
      and contribute. The site does accept credit cards. Rest assured that
      you will have my deep gratitude...and that your money will help save the
      lives of millions of people.

      Kiri