Re: [SCA-JML] Life in Academia

  • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
      Get around that but complaining about how poorly they presented the
      material. How they were unable to present it in a way that made it
      learnable, or something like that. I've never filled out those "end
      of semester" pollings usually tossing them in the garbage or leaving
      when the professor did if it was at the end of the class.

      Sara

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Actually, a lot of administrators hold
      > tenured faculty positions. So, they can be pretty hard to fire. You
      > can sack them as dean or department chairman, but they can still go
      > back to their old departments with their tails between their legs,
      > but at greatly inflated salary. You can either try to force them to
      > resign or reorganize them into a department or program and then kill
      > the entire department or program.
      >
      > Incidentally, student reviews are very influential in retaining
      > faculty. However, any complaints about language ability are summarily
      > dismissed. So, it is probably easier these days to get tenure if you
      > are a non-native English speaker as the students will invariably
      > complain about your language ability.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

    • Sonny Scott
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
        In one class, we were told that the evaluations went to the Dean, and the teacher didn't see them. The next class the teacher ranted for 20 minutes about the poor evaluations he received and tried to defend his persistent tardiness.

        _______________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
          They don't see the evaluations you do they are "Sanatized" typed up,
          and then turned over to the instructor so they can know what students
          liked and responded to and what they didn't.

          However, I don't belive that they ever do that, I think they say that
          and then hand the forms over to the professor.

          Sara

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009

            > They don't see the evaluations you do they are "Sanatized" typed up,
            > and then turned over to the instructor so they can know what students
            > liked and responded to and what they didn't.
            >
            > However, I don't belive that they ever do that, I think they say that
            > and then hand the forms over to the professor.
            The exact procedure depends upon the school in question. In some
            schools the professors receive the originals back. In others they
            don't. However, disclosing their contents to the administration is a
            common feature of reappointment and tenure at a lot of places.
            Further, a lot of places are demanding to see them during the hiring
            process. This all makes for eviscerating "higher education". The
            book, Grade Inflation, documents studies proving that these tests at
            best measure student anxiety at the end of the academic term. All of
            this motivates professors to reduce student anxiety. The easiest way
            to do this is to water down courses. For example, a tenured professor
            of my acquaintance told me back around 1995 that she had recently
            looked at a test she had been using a decade or so previously. She
            said that she could never give it to the current crop of students
            even though students had previously done well on it.

          • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
              sounds as bad as standardized tests in the lower grade levels.

              Sara