Re: [SCA-JML] Life in Academia

  • Andrew Trembley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      >> She already has a solid academic career...
      >>

      > Thank you for the thought. The truth is that academe is a rotten
      > business unless you have tenure or are otherwise firmly established.
      > This last academic year, I basked in impoverished unemployment.
      But... that is a solid academic career by today's standards.

      Seriously, yeah, I totally get this. The politics are horrible. The
      shortage of real management skills makes /Dilbert/ seem like a dream
      environment. I work in administration at a public university, and I've
      followed a few friends through decades of part-time teaching and through
      tenure battles. I've watched psycho deans (a particular one so bad that
      her college was dissolved by the Provost shortly after it's 25th
      anniversary and rolled back into two others when she went on sabbatical;
      that sounds psycho but it was important she had no job to return to and
      she had almost destroyed the college anyway) move tenured professors
      into management positions to make them easier to fire.

      andy
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009

        Greetings from Solveig! Actually, a lot of administrators hold
        tenured faculty positions. So, they can be pretty hard to fire. You
        can sack them as dean or department chairman, but they can still go
        back to their old departments with their tails between their legs,
        but at greatly inflated salary. You can either try to force them to
        resign or reorganize them into a department or program and then kill
        the entire department or program.

        Incidentally, student reviews are very influential in retaining
        faculty. However, any complaints about language ability are summarily
        dismissed. So, it is probably easier these days to get tenure if you
        are a non-native English speaker as the students will invariably
        complain about your language ability.

      • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
          Get around that but complaining about how poorly they presented the
          material. How they were unable to present it in a way that made it
          learnable, or something like that. I've never filled out those "end
          of semester" pollings usually tossing them in the garbage or leaving
          when the professor did if it was at the end of the class.

          Sara

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! Actually, a lot of administrators hold
          > tenured faculty positions. So, they can be pretty hard to fire. You
          > can sack them as dean or department chairman, but they can still go
          > back to their old departments with their tails between their legs,
          > but at greatly inflated salary. You can either try to force them to
          > resign or reorganize them into a department or program and then kill
          > the entire department or program.
          >
          > Incidentally, student reviews are very influential in retaining
          > faculty. However, any complaints about language ability are summarily
          > dismissed. So, it is probably easier these days to get tenure if you
          > are a non-native English speaker as the students will invariably
          > complain about your language ability.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

        • Sonny Scott
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
            In one class, we were told that the evaluations went to the Dean, and the teacher didn't see them. The next class the teacher ranted for 20 minutes about the poor evaluations he received and tried to defend his persistent tardiness.

            _______________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
              They don't see the evaluations you do they are "Sanatized" typed up,
              and then turned over to the instructor so they can know what students
              liked and responded to and what they didn't.

              However, I don't belive that they ever do that, I think they say that
              and then hand the forms over to the professor.

              Sara

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009

                > They don't see the evaluations you do they are "Sanatized" typed up,
                > and then turned over to the instructor so they can know what students
                > liked and responded to and what they didn't.
                >
                > However, I don't belive that they ever do that, I think they say that
                > and then hand the forms over to the professor.
                The exact procedure depends upon the school in question. In some
                schools the professors receive the originals back. In others they
                don't. However, disclosing their contents to the administration is a
                common feature of reappointment and tenure at a lot of places.
                Further, a lot of places are demanding to see them during the hiring
                process. This all makes for eviscerating "higher education". The
                book, Grade Inflation, documents studies proving that these tests at
                best measure student anxiety at the end of the academic term. All of
                this motivates professors to reduce student anxiety. The easiest way
                to do this is to water down courses. For example, a tenured professor
                of my acquaintance told me back around 1995 that she had recently
                looked at a test she had been using a decade or so previously. She
                said that she could never give it to the current crop of students
                even though students had previously done well on it.

              • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                  sounds as bad as standardized tests in the lower grade levels.

                  Sara