Re: [SCA-JML] Academy

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Bryant Richards
      <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

      > so even from them it would have been used for more than just Uji, and even though not written in Kanji it would have been said outloud and therefore written in romaji and kana.

      Nobody is disagreeing with what you say about it being pronounced
      aloud (although the Academy doesn't address the time period of its
      use). Romaji has no bearing on period practice, unless you are
      talking about Portuguese translations (btw, I've yet to see a
      Portuguese transliteration of a name that used "no", attesting to it
      not being used in the latter part of the 16th century).

      Look, if you want to register "no", and it is important to you, go
      ahead. You know where most people stand on this, and it is more of an
      opinion issue than one that I think anyone can fully back up
      historically, since the Japanese didn't care about how some modern
      reenactment organization was going to write down their names.