Re: Digital Presses

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 70 , Jun 1 6:24 AM
      > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Most low-volume publications are now printed
      > digitally. This includes books published by traditional publishing
      > houses such as Prentice-Hall. Pocket books are usually printed on WEB
      > presses.
      Yes, I'm familiar with most of the press types, though I've never worked
      on a publication that was appropriate for a web press.
      > Otherwise, it is quite possible that it was printed digitally.
      > Supposably, a close examination of the text on the page will reveal
      > the printing technology to the trained eye.
      I have a reasonably trained eye, and tools to help out the eye. There
      may be a difference under a microscope, but I certainly couldn't see one
      with just basic magnifiers or loupes.
      > Glossy plates have become
      > exceptionally rare, however they are still sometimes found. Such
      > plates are often printed using letter press technology.

      The European and Japanese book publishers seem to spend a bit more money
      and fuss a bit more with art books. The colors seem better to my eye
      with a richness that I prefer. While plates are rare, I have seen recent
      art books with plate insets in them. High quality photo/digital
      lithography has pretty much wiped these out.

      I've seen print on demand products for decades, having worked one on of
      the early Xerox efforts. My main point is that now you can't tell the
      difference when it comes to a high quality offset process or digital.
      > Posted by: sara_seigel
      >
      > it is surprising to see company that in this day and age is just
      > making a webpresence, assuming it's not a new company. But getting
      > things to work especially with a shopping cart and payment system
      > right in the website.

      Sadly it's not, I know of several specialty English presses that have no
      web presence or business e-mail. I guess they are not that interested in
      selling books.

      > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      > The moral that you should take away from this is that when you hear a
      > lot of noise about there being a shortage in one field or another
      > they may actually be trying to justify outsourcing, importing cheap
      > foreign labor, or otherwise put the squeeze on domestic workers.

      Hmmm sounds like engineering.

      Jim
    • brothervalarien
      Message 70 of 70 , Jun 8 11:29 AM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:

        > sorry I have to ask, some call it a book, and others a pamphlet, which
        > is it? I have little problem (other then finding the money) for
        > paying $40+ for a refrence book, that is typical for a lot of books
        > students buy for their classes (on the low end) and then use over and

        Solvieg's "pamphlet" is between an inch and a half and two inches thick. she understates herself when she calls it such, but I suppose it is her way of not being boastful about it.

        I have a copy of it. I tend to get a headache when trying to read it. currently it is on loan to a father/son pair in my area, though I must soon reclaim it and get my own name registered.

        despite it being a li'l difficult for a non-scholarly type like me to read and understand, it is an incredible resource. it is depressing though that I find myself wishing I had a translation into common HS graduates English<G>

        Ishikawa Yoshimasa