Re: [SCA-JML] The N word

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
      again I oplogize for this but I was not trying to make it out as I was calling anyone a Nazi I was using it as a slang of sorts as it is often used.

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        there are some that are overly sensitive to certain words. This just
        happens to be one of them that has more then 1 meaning. Just like
        alot of words that have changed or added meanings over the years.

        Want examples?

        Nigger, used now between two
        blacks/african-americans/coloured/whatever the "PC" term is now adays

        Wolf, until WWII it was a slang term for Homosexual men, after the war
        it was for straight men, that would "hunt" women for well I think you
        can figure it out

        Statesman, used to be someone that fought for states rights and a
        small federal government while in politcal service, now it means a
        dead politiation...... we need more statesmen.

        Gay, used to mean Merry or Happy, now it means guys that like to have
        sex with other guys but not women.

        Lesbian, used to mean anything produced and sold from the Isle of
        Lesbos in Greece, it was that way for centuries, now it means (in most
        minds) women that have sex with women instead of men.

        Spartan, used to mean a Citizen of the Greek city state of Sparta, now
        it means bare or minimal furnishings, etc.

        Not just limited to words! objects and symbols have had it happen as well.

        Swastika, for thousands of years on almost every contient it was a
        symbol of good luck, but then it was rotated 45 degrees and now is
        more closely related in most people's minds to anti-semetic nation of
        the Third Reich under the leadership of the Nazis

        Bi-fold garments, or skirts used to be uni-sex or male dress as well,
        now it's not. Don't believe me? look in a Sears catologe from before
        1960. FYI Kimonos, togas, etc are all bifold garments that are worn
        by both men and women. plus pants didn't really exist until the 1400s
        and

        Hose/Hosery until pants were invented from them in the 15th centurty
        were worn by men, now it's considered a "female" garment.

        Pants, until the current times, Pants were considered "male" dress and
        women were widely humilated if they wore them. example
        http://tgctr.org/tfa/?p=241 They call her a Transman but she could
        have just been Butch Lesbian.

        I say give the benift of the doubt, and if you find a word offensive,
        don't use it, if someone says it to you look up the meaning, odds are
        it might have another meaning that will make sense in context.

        Have a VERY gay day,
        Sara >:)

      • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
          ohh I forgot to add information under the skirt's arguement so here it is

          In ancient Egypt their normal clothing was a loincloth wrapped around
          the hips and girdled at the waist. A cape was worn on the shoulders and later
          a long garment called a kalasiris was introduced. Men wore this as a skirt
          around their waist; women wore it over their upper body, or as a full-length
          garment that sometimes had sleeves.

          The Hebrews, Assyrians, and Babylonians all wore a long, sleeved garment
          similar to a nightshirt, with cloaks or kalasiris-like overgarments. These
          clothes appear to be stiff, with fringed and tasselled borders and square
          or rounded corners.

          For thousands of years in history we don't find pants and it is a relatively
          modern and culturally brief period of history where there was a distinction
          of pants only on men and dresses only on women.

          Even today in the Pacific and other areas of the world, many continue to
          wear a sarong or robe on males and females with only a small distinction
          between them.

          Sara

        • John Lyon
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
            You know, when I read the subject line for this, I immediately thought that
            someone had started talking about Ninjas. I recently caught the "Spartan vs
            Ninja" warrior thing on spike. <sigh>

            On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:14 AM, <the.lady.phoenix@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > were worn by men, now it's considered a "female" garment.
            > >
            > > Pants, until the current times, Pants were considered "male" dress and
            > > women were widely humilated if they wore them. example
            > > http://tgctr.org/tfa/?p=241 They call her a Transman but she could
            > > have just been Butch Lesbian.
            > >
            > > I say give the benift of the doubt, and if you find a word offensive,
            > > don't use it, if someone says it to you look up the meaning, odds are
            > > it might have another meaning that will make sense in context.
            > >
            > > Have a VERY gay day,
            > > Sara >:)
            > >

            > > On 01/06/2009, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...<ninjalikereflex%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            > >> again I oplogize for this but I was not trying to make it out as I was
            > >> calling anyone a Nazi I was using it as a slang of sorts as it is often

            "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
            things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I
            take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
            -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

            John Lyon
            aka The Ugly Dragon
            aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

          • Rick Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
              I think that there is a big difference between a 'fashion police' and a 'fashion nazi'. KJust like there is abg differnece between a 'fire-police' and a 'fire-nazi'.

              The former will come to me and say "wooden Inro with carved netsuke are a bit out of time for a Muromachi Samurai".
              The latter will demand, "Jutte isn't Period so I don't wnt t osee you wearing those Jutte-Waraji at my event!" even though I made them myself out of whatever I had that gave the appearance of reality.

              I've been to events where I wish there WERE fire-police.
              I am an early riser and thus an early sleeper (too many years in the Air Force) and one event, I fell asleep while the partyng was in full swing.
              Woke up early in the am to .. answer nature's call... and founf the bonfire still roaring (not burning to coals but waist high at least) with a bottle of lighter fluid nearby.
              AND no one around. THe last person had appeared to have tossed all the wood on (to save wasting it I suppose) then gon to bed.
              So I put the thing out and explored the downwind desert (in my pajamas) looking for sparks.

              BUT, I have also woken up ealry, started my small coking fire from banked coals and went inside to change only to find a fire-nazi putting it out because he felt that NO fire should EVER be unattended. Plus a stern lecture to which I replied, "Who made you the fire warden?"
              "ME!"

              Big difference!
              The former is someone who suggests in a positive manner.
              The latter is a self-appointed fascist who lives to abuse people for innocent mistakes.

              Rick Johnson,
              PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
              geocities.com/RikJohnson39
              "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

              Please note: message attached

              From: the.lady.phoenix@...
              To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] The N word
              Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:08:27 +0000

              Save on Learning Centers. Click here.
              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsIpv2MObHjz9p3E2CuFpkkJFe8P0nBVKenKwdrR8ZxEgQdV7Ax5Ne/
            • Andrew Trembley
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                Bryant Richards wrote:
                > I think it is very plan that I wasn't calling anyone a Nazi. I was using the term as it has become used to mean "Overly strict" as in "Fire Nazi" meaning someone who goes around putting out every fire unattended. I have even heard this term used at SCA events as a job description.

                Just because you hear this term used doesn't mean it's polite or
                appropriate.

                I'm all for Mel Brooks' practice of making Nazis the object of ridicule;
                it's a great way to diminish their attractiveness and reduce their
                chances (and those of people very like them) of coming to power again.

                Using the name is such a trivial fashion, though, as a call for one's
                own personal waaahmbulance, is tacky.

                You *are* calling some people Nazis, even if you don't know who you're
                doing it to. You don't know who has had this epithet thrown at them in
                the past.

                That's sticky. Some of us on this board have older friends with tattoos,
                if you get my drift. Some of us have big swaths of the family tree that
                were wiped out of existence in the 30's and 40's.

                No, I'm not telling you who.

                andy
              • Bryant Richards
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                  For shame! I have not seen the Spartan vs Ninja thing yet but from what everyone has said I am a bit scared to. Seems there are alot of questionable things about it.

                  In Honor and Service,
                  Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

                  BOTTOM MESSAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR