Re: [SCA-JML] was Fight for your... now new edition

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29 9:20 PM
      --- On Fri, 5/29/09, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:

      > Currently the thing is in a "Revised Edition". I am planning a Third
      > Edition which will better cover monastic names and women's names,
      > correct various typographical errors, and all the usual re-issue sort
      > of stuff.

      Sounds great! Thanks for your work and letting us know about future developments! Is there a time frame for completion of the Third Edition, or is it only in the planning stages? Thanks,

      Ki no Izumi/Gwendolyn/Jennifer
      Message 2 of 13 , May 31 2:50 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! Currently, it is on the to-do list. The
        monograph which I am supposed to get out first is about pre-modern
        Japanese gastronomy. Also, my poetry handout is turning into a
        monograph. It will have a short saijiki, a dictionary of makura
        kotoba, hopefully all of the tables that you asked for, and a
        complete version of Ogura Hyakunin Ishu with commentary. It will also
        have an expanded selection of kiriji.

      • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 31 7:05 PM
          Gees!

          Have you considered turning "Pro"? It sounds like you have the
          experience to do so from here.

          Sara

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! Currently, it is on the to-do list. The
          > monograph which I am supposed to get out first is about pre-modern
          > Japanese gastronomy. Also, my poetry handout is turning into a
          > monograph. It will have a short saijiki, a dictionary of makura
          > kotoba, hopefully all of the tables that you asked for, and a
          > complete version of Ogura Hyakunin Ishu with commentary. It will also
          > have an expanded selection of kiriji.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

        • Andrew Trembley
          Message 4 of 13 , May 31 7:07 PM
            the.lady.phoenix@... wrote:
            > Gees!
            >
            > Have you considered turning "Pro"? It sounds like you have the
            > experience to do so from here.
            She already has a solid academic career...

            andy
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009

              > She already has a solid academic career...

              Thank you for the thought. The truth is that academe is a rotten
              business unless you have tenure or are otherwise firmly established.
              This last academic year, I basked in impoverished unemployment. Thus
              far, I haven't found a gig for next year either. My checkered
              academic career is far from unique. I know quite a few people who got
              out in science or mathematics in the early 90's who are still trying
              to land tenure. You may recall that Bush the Elder was making a lot
              of noise about there being a shortage of such folks. It was actually
              a big lie designed to grease importing people from the former Soviet
              Union and China. The reality is that there is hard documentation for
              unemployment rates of about 50% among newly minted PhDs about the
              year that I got out. This documentation under-reported the actual
              rate as a lot of people were delaying graduation. Meanwhile, colleges
              and universities were combining junior positions in order to offer
              senior appointments to the imported faculty. Eventually, this lead to
              a backlash especially at public institutions which were compelled by
              legislatures to employ professors who could speak English. However,
              senior faculty are very good about waving their hands and claiming
              that incomprehensible colleagues actually speak good English. And,
              yes, while I have taken courses from even recent immigrants who were
              quite comprehensible, I have encountered immigrant faculty who were
              incomprehensible.

              The moral that you should take away from this is that when you hear a
              lot of noise about there being a shortage in one field or another
              they may actually be trying to justify outsourcing, importing cheap
              foreign labor, or otherwise put the squeeze on domestic workers.

              An interesting piece of organizational behavior. The less they pay
              you, the more confident they are that they can evaluate you. The more
              they pay you, the less confident they are that they can evaluate you.
              This is a fairly well documented phenomenon. We are seeing this being
              played out on a large scale at the moment with CEOs being paid
              astronomical sums by failing companies. Meanwhile, the people who
              actually design, make, and distribute products and services are being
              pressed to accept lower pay and fewer benefits.

              Finally, watch Horse Feathers sometime. Things are still pretty much
              the same. The coach of a loosing team at Syracuse University is paid
              something on the order of three to five times as much as the
              Chancellor and about 20 or 30 times as much as they were paying me. I
              forget the exact salaries of these people. But, the orders of
              magnitude are correct. In fact, the athletics department claims that
              the "Orange Men" loose, because the coaches aren't being paid enough.

              Oh well. That's probably far far more belly aching than you ever
              wanted to hear from me. But, the really amusing thing is those
              tenured faculty who whine about how their salaries aren't high enough
              and seek Summer employment to increase their salary. This may be
              justifiable for English full professors at SUNY colleges who make
              about $40K a year and is certainly justifiable for a friend of mine
              who is an adjunct English professor, but I've heard the same belly
              aching from professors with six figure salaries at Syracuse
              University. Me? I'd just like to have a nice quiet secure academic
              gig at a small to medium size school where you can form personal
              relationships with colleagues and students.

            • Michael Peters
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                Solvieig wrote > snip<

                And my family and PhD friends wonder why I won't go back to school.8)

                She neglected to mention the unceasing internal warfare/politics and jockeying for position as well.

              • Andrew Trembley
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
                  > Noble Cousin!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  >
                  >> She already has a solid academic career...
                  >>

                  > Thank you for the thought. The truth is that academe is a rotten
                  > business unless you have tenure or are otherwise firmly established.
                  > This last academic year, I basked in impoverished unemployment.
                  But... that is a solid academic career by today's standards.

                  Seriously, yeah, I totally get this. The politics are horrible. The
                  shortage of real management skills makes /Dilbert/ seem like a dream
                  environment. I work in administration at a public university, and I've
                  followed a few friends through decades of part-time teaching and through
                  tenure battles. I've watched psycho deans (a particular one so bad that
                  her college was dissolved by the Provost shortly after it's 25th
                  anniversary and rolled back into two others when she went on sabbatical;
                  that sounds psycho but it was important she had no job to return to and
                  she had almost destroyed the college anyway) move tenured professors
                  into management positions to make them easier to fire.

                  andy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009

                    Greetings from Solveig! Actually, a lot of administrators hold
                    tenured faculty positions. So, they can be pretty hard to fire. You
                    can sack them as dean or department chairman, but they can still go
                    back to their old departments with their tails between their legs,
                    but at greatly inflated salary. You can either try to force them to
                    resign or reorganize them into a department or program and then kill
                    the entire department or program.

                    Incidentally, student reviews are very influential in retaining
                    faculty. However, any complaints about language ability are summarily
                    dismissed. So, it is probably easier these days to get tenure if you
                    are a non-native English speaker as the students will invariably
                    complain about your language ability.

                  • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Get around that but complaining about how poorly they presented the
                      material. How they were unable to present it in a way that made it
                      learnable, or something like that. I've never filled out those "end
                      of semester" pollings usually tossing them in the garbage or leaving
                      when the professor did if it was at the end of the class.

                      Sara

                      > Noble Cousin!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig! Actually, a lot of administrators hold
                      > tenured faculty positions. So, they can be pretty hard to fire. You
                      > can sack them as dean or department chairman, but they can still go
                      > back to their old departments with their tails between their legs,
                      > but at greatly inflated salary. You can either try to force them to
                      > resign or reorganize them into a department or program and then kill
                      > the entire department or program.
                      >
                      > Incidentally, student reviews are very influential in retaining
                      > faculty. However, any complaints about language ability are summarily
                      > dismissed. So, it is probably easier these days to get tenure if you
                      > are a non-native English speaker as the students will invariably
                      > complain about your language ability.
                      >
                      > Your Humble Servant
                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                      > Amateur Scholar

                    • Sonny Scott
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                        In one class, we were told that the evaluations went to the Dean, and the teacher didn't see them. The next class the teacher ranted for 20 minutes about the poor evaluations he received and tried to defend his persistent tardiness.

                        _______________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                          They don't see the evaluations you do they are "Sanatized" typed up,
                          and then turned over to the instructor so they can know what students
                          liked and responded to and what they didn't.

                          However, I don't belive that they ever do that, I think they say that
                          and then hand the forms over to the professor.

                          Sara

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009

                            > They don't see the evaluations you do they are "Sanatized" typed up,
                            > and then turned over to the instructor so they can know what students
                            > liked and responded to and what they didn't.
                            >
                            > However, I don't belive that they ever do that, I think they say that
                            > and then hand the forms over to the professor.
                            The exact procedure depends upon the school in question. In some
                            schools the professors receive the originals back. In others they
                            don't. However, disclosing their contents to the administration is a
                            common feature of reappointment and tenure at a lot of places.
                            Further, a lot of places are demanding to see them during the hiring
                            process. This all makes for eviscerating "higher education". The
                            book, Grade Inflation, documents studies proving that these tests at
                            best measure student anxiety at the end of the academic term. All of
                            this motivates professors to reduce student anxiety. The easiest way
                            to do this is to water down courses. For example, a tenured professor
                            of my acquaintance told me back around 1995 that she had recently
                            looked at a test she had been using a decade or so previously. She
                            said that she could never give it to the current crop of students
                            even though students had previously done well on it.

                          • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                              sounds as bad as standardized tests in the lower grade levels.

                              Sara