HONEYSUCKLE MEAD

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2009
      We brewed 5 gallons of Honeysuckle Mead last night.
      Last time it was an experiment so we only did three gallons. The compliments were so extreme that we increased the yield to 5 gallons this year.... only because we ran out of honey.

      Although the exact formulae is a Desert Henge secret, we can tell you that the main ingredients are: 25# of Mesquite honey made by Arizona Killer Bees (about $95-$100 total) and a whole lot of Honeysuckle blossoms I picked every morning from my honeysuckle plants that we planted at my door a few years ago and some (classified) also home-grown in Minnesota and imported plus some (classified) and (classified).

      Ok, I’m being cruel here. But Mead brewing is more an art than a science and we tend to start with an idea, look at the must and add ingredients according to our mood until it ‘feels’ right. And we used a LOT of honeysuckle when we planned only a couple handfuls. I now have room in my freezer! Half of which had been for honeysuckle blossom storage.

      It also means we can never duplicate exactly the pervious batch.

      This was also an instructional thing to teach some friends the proper way to brew mead including Rule #1 “Use Quality Materials for a Quality product!” and Rule #2 “Take your time and don’t rush it!”

      So, in addition to raw honey purchased from the Bee-Store, we also bought distilled-purified water and all natural and PURE ingredients, most of which were grown in our own yards. Refer to the <a href=”http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge/mead.html%e2%80%9d> Desert Henge Website</A> for more info.

      Regardless, in a few months the brewing should settle down so we can move the must to the secondary fermenter/settling tanks and in another six months or so we can bottle and allow to age for a few years.

      Mead! Aqua Vita! Gift of the Gods!

      And a messy job at that.
      Had to move the stove this morning and almost take it apart to clean the mess. And the bathtub was filled with dishes to rinse before we could wash them. Plus get rid of all the precipitation materials like the lemon peels and honeysuckle blossoms after steeping was done.

      In short, if you can’t stand the mess, stay out of the kitchen!

      But everyone agrees that the effort is worth the work!

      Now if only I could brew a Saki that was worth drinking!

      Rick Johnson,
      PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      geocities.com/RikJohnson39
      "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

      Get a life insurance quote online. Click to compare rates and save.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsO5FvTOYAnsmaBQMtBM1y9xomxgy2CkfuhoDFS9O1ZKDa1J7CYeX2/