RE: [SCA-JML] Tabi Boots

  • Michael Peters
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
      "There were also some fully covered Muromachi era leather shoes that

      I've seen. I just haven't worked out a pattern for them. I'm away

      from my sources, but perhaps someone else has good info on that?

      -Ii"

      They are very much like a birkenstock "boston" with a tie between the big toe and second. I've considered buying a pair and punching a hole for the tie.

      MJ Peters

    • donald seebald
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
        A lot of the construction workers and gardners in Japan have a wide variety of these type of boots, they are really great for working on ladders or balancing on I beams. I dont know of any online sites that sell them for anything near the 2000 yen (20 bucks) price tag that you can have them at if you just pick them up at the JN version of Lowes. with arch support without whatever.. usually navy blue in color.

        From: Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@ yahoo.com>
        Subject: [SCA-JML] Tabi Boots
        To: sca-jml@yahoogroups .com
        Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 12:04 AM

        I have a quick question for you. Do any of you wear Tabi boots? AKA Ninja boots. Before anyone yells I know I know that they are not period not to mention not really ninja or samurai either. I have a pair of wariji sandals, hand made from rice straw and everything. Here is my problem, after walking in them all day my legs hurt so bad I can barely move the next day (fallen arch) so they are out of the question. I tried inserting supports in the socks to help but that just made them even more uncomfortable. So I figure my next option, other than wearing my sneakers, is these Tabi boots. I have seen some SCA pictures of people wearing them, or something similiar.

        Anyway I was just wondering if anyone wears them and could tell me things like where they get them, what size to order (my size, a size larger, a size smaller) and do they wear out fast? I have heard they wear out fast. I know of one place to get them www.martialartsmart .com, they are a little pricey but I trust them because I have ordered all kinds of things from them for years when I competed in Taekwondo. I guess I'm asking for a review of the Tabi boots :)

        In Honor and Service,

        Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

      • Bryant Richards
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
          ________________________________

          >i don't know if they will do anything about arch support but you mite
          look at a dive shop or sportswear mart for >the shoes for walking on
          jagged rocks. sometimes they have a split dig toe. I saw someone at an
          event here in >Bakersfield from Hawaii who was wearing a pair. he told
          me he picked them up from Walmart in Hawaii.

          wouldn't suprise me, having been to a walmart in Hawaii they have some very interesting things. Makes me wonder though if Walmart.com might have them? I think I will check them out

          In Honor and Service,
          Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
            Could not find any at wal-mart.com but here are a few sights I did find

            http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-ni-14.html

            http://www.tenkaralin.com/

            http://www.martialartssupplies.com/ninjatabiboots.html

            i found snickers too ...interesting very interesting

            hope you like the links and this helps

            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull