Re: [SCA-JML] Tabi Boots

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 19, 2009
      Thank you for all of the advice, I think I will be getting the tabi boots now :)

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
        "There were also some fully covered Muromachi era leather shoes that

        I've seen. I just haven't worked out a pattern for them. I'm away

        from my sources, but perhaps someone else has good info on that?

        -Ii"

        They are very much like a birkenstock "boston" with a tie between the big toe and second. I've considered buying a pair and punching a hole for the tie.

        MJ Peters

      • donald seebald
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
          A lot of the construction workers and gardners in Japan have a wide variety of these type of boots, they are really great for working on ladders or balancing on I beams. I dont know of any online sites that sell them for anything near the 2000 yen (20 bucks) price tag that you can have them at if you just pick them up at the JN version of Lowes. with arch support without whatever.. usually navy blue in color.

          From: Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@ yahoo.com>
          Subject: [SCA-JML] Tabi Boots
          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups .com
          Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 12:04 AM

          I have a quick question for you. Do any of you wear Tabi boots? AKA Ninja boots. Before anyone yells I know I know that they are not period not to mention not really ninja or samurai either. I have a pair of wariji sandals, hand made from rice straw and everything. Here is my problem, after walking in them all day my legs hurt so bad I can barely move the next day (fallen arch) so they are out of the question. I tried inserting supports in the socks to help but that just made them even more uncomfortable. So I figure my next option, other than wearing my sneakers, is these Tabi boots. I have seen some SCA pictures of people wearing them, or something similiar.

          Anyway I was just wondering if anyone wears them and could tell me things like where they get them, what size to order (my size, a size larger, a size smaller) and do they wear out fast? I have heard they wear out fast. I know of one place to get them www.martialartsmart .com, they are a little pricey but I trust them because I have ordered all kinds of things from them for years when I competed in Taekwondo. I guess I'm asking for a review of the Tabi boots :)

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
            ________________________________

            >i don't know if they will do anything about arch support but you mite
            look at a dive shop or sportswear mart for >the shoes for walking on
            jagged rocks. sometimes they have a split dig toe. I saw someone at an
            event here in >Bakersfield from Hawaii who was wearing a pair. he told
            me he picked them up from Walmart in Hawaii.

            wouldn't suprise me, having been to a walmart in Hawaii they have some very interesting things. Makes me wonder though if Walmart.com might have them? I think I will check them out

            In Honor and Service,
            Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 20, 2009
              Could not find any at wal-mart.com but here are a few sights I did find

              http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-ni-14.html

              http://www.tenkaralin.com/

              http://www.martialartssupplies.com/ninjatabiboots.html

              i found snickers too ...interesting very interesting

              hope you like the links and this helps

              Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull